+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social Assistance/Discount Bus pass?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is this discounted monthly bus pass considered Social Assistance? Only low-income individuals are eligible for this and falls under Financial and social support on the website. Need expert advice please

https://peelregion.ca/services/financial-help/bus-pass-discount/
As already stated not considered social assistance. The need for a subsidized bus pass is more of the potential problem. Although there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship you need to show that you have the ability to support your family financially when they move to Canada without government help.

Reactions: habibi007

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
As already stated not considered social assistance. The need for a subsidized bus pass is more of the potential problem. Although there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship you need to show that you have the ability to support your family financially when they move to Canada without government help.
Thank you! I'm about to sponsor my spouse so I just needed to confirm because I can't be on Social assistace to sponsor her.

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
And what do you mean by "subsidized bus pass is more of the potential problem"?

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
If your income is low enough to qualify for a subsidized bus pass your income may be low enough that there will be concerns about how you can support your spouse.
Oh okay. I'm a new immigrant, just arrived here about a month ago and also I have funds in my bank account (home country) as well.