+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

so confused!

wantsanewlife

Nov 6, 2010
Hi everyone.

Sorry if this question has been asked all ready, I have done a search before posting but couldnt find what might help... probably missed it knowing me!

Anyway,

Im a British Citizen and I want to move over to Toronto, Canada.
Let me give some background... I went to Toronto about 12 years ago and totally fell in love with the place when I went, and promised myself that one day I could live there.. as time grew on I thought nothing of it until I met my partner who was working with me in the UK but he was from Toronto (maybe a sign??) but he has since moved back out there and in the name of love i would do anything.. we are engaged now but he is over there and im in the UK..
I dont know if im ready to apply for citizenship yet and was wondering how I would stand for trying to obtain a work permit.
Im not a skilled worker, I have been working in customer services now for 10 years. no degree or anything like that, just a lot of like/work experience. Does this make a difference when applying for a work permit?
If i was to just go straight for me and my man going through the sponsorship thing? but if we do it this way, can I still go to Canada to visit? Can he come to the UK to visit? what about if i got permanent residency over there, would I be able to work straight away?

Im so confused with the whole thing... I have registered my details with a few websites so I can try to find a job over there so can get things started but..... :eek: ..... im so confused with the whole process.

Help!
jk :)

JGK

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Vegreville, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (File Moved to Detroit July 2011)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
31-05-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
22-03-2011
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
13-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
12-10-2011
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,the only way to get a work permit is with a job offer and a positive labour market opinion (LMO)

However, to get the LMO you employer has to satisfy the Govt. that:

The job was fully advertised;
they couldn't hire a canadian (or PR) of equal or greater experience than you;
they're not paying you a salary below the going rate for the job.

For an unskilled position showing this is very hard,if not impossible.

You say that you are engaged to your partner, if he's Canadian citizen, he could sponsor your immigration once you're married.

aussiepete

Oct 31, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2005
File Transfer...
14-01-2006
Passport Req..
23-01-2006
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2006
LANDED..........
23-03-2006
Are you under 35? If so you can apply for a working holiday visa as the UK has working agreements with Canada . check out the Canadian consulate London web site.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aussiepete said:
Are you under 35? If so you can apply for a working holiday visa as the UK has working agreements with Canada . check out the Canadian consulate London web site.
You have to be under 30.

aussiepete

Oct 31, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2005
File Transfer...
14-01-2006
Passport Req..
23-01-2006
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2006
LANDED..........
23-03-2006
depends on the citizenship you have! UK is 30, Australia is 31, NZ is 35 I think

lorearco

Oct 16, 2010
Hi :)

Im afraid the age limit is 30....mmmm lets think, why dont you go for a visit and then you guys get married and he can sponsor you, because if you wait unitl you get a job it can be a long wait, if he sponsors you, you can not leave the country until you get your legal status, a friend of mine married a canadian guy and her process took almost two years from inside Canada, so you have to be patient, if you guys want to be together try to find out another way, what if he moved to UK? could he work there?

wwwvisabureaucom(dash)canada(dash)working-holiday-requirements(dot)aspx

wantsanewlife

Nov 6, 2010
hey everyone, thanks for all of your replies.

I have been talking to my partner, and we are both going to get married :) yaaaay!

I really thought though that anyone could apply for any sort of job in any country and get a work permit... it is a shame that I cant because of the line of work i am in, but I dont mind getting married!!!

Can I ask another question though please?

Does anyone know.... if we were to get married over in Canada, am I able to stay there (and obviously not work because i wont be eligable to work) while my PR is going through? Or is it better for me to be in England and him in Canada?
What about if we were both in England, is the process for PR longer from over here?

Its so confusing,but im glad that there are some really helpful people out there, so thank you so much again :)
:-*

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

wantsanewlife said:
hey everyone, thanks for all of your replies.

I have been talking to my partner, and we are both going to get married :) yaaaay!

I really thought though that anyone could apply for any sort of job in any country and get a work permit... it is a shame that I cant because of the line of work i am in, but I dont mind getting married!!!

Can I ask another question though please?

Does anyone know.... if we were to get married over in Canada, am I able to stay there (and obviously not work because i wont be eligable to work) while my PR is going through? Or is it better for me to be in England and him in Canada?
What about if we were both in England, is the process for PR longer from over here?

Its so confusing,but im glad that there are some really helpful people out there, so thank you so much again :)
:-*
There is nothing stopping you from remaining as a visitor in Canada (keep your status valid) while have the application processed in London. Only if there is an interview, would you have to go to London. If your spouse is a Canadian s/he can sponsor you while residing outside Canada.