+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN ( SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER)

Sara75

Jul 26, 2014
I am an international student in an ESL School and i have got my SIN recently : Does it mean i can work part time off -campus ????

007jatt

Star Member
Aug 5, 2014
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
12/08/2014
LANDED..........
Hopefully Soon :)
Yes, but not more than 20Hrs full time during break, Also there might be other conditions written on your study permit Please read it throughly.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sara75 said:
I am an international student in an ESL School and i have got my SIN recently : Does it mean i can work part time off -campus ????
No, ESL students are not allowed to work off campus.

AMJ

Mar 2, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Question: Is SIN Card ( or number ) required for children under 18?? :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sara75 said:
So yes or no ?

Because the ESL School is a designated institution in the CIC website
Again it is NO. Read the following from CIC

To qualify, you must:

have a valid study permit,
be a full-time student,
be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

jbrown

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Hello Sara75,

As PMM stated, English as a Second Language students are not eligible to work-off campus. It seems that Service Canada made a mistake by giving you a SIN #.

please read the last paragraph below from the Canada Gazette -Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Regulatory amendments to work permit programs

The Regulations also allow full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution to work off-campus without a work permit. Off-campus work is allowed for up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled academic breaks. This represents time and cost savings to students who no longer need to apply and pay for a separate work permit and for CIC, as officers will no longer process off-campus work permit applications. This amendment replaces the existing program design, which requires study permit holders to wait six months after beginning their program of study before applying separately for an off-campus work permit.

The effects of these amendments will be to exclude those students undertaking English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) programs, or general interest or preparatory courses from the authorization to work under the off-campus work permit exemption or under the co-op work permit program.