+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Simple marriage pre ITA and some other doubts

Writetogeeks

Mar 10, 2020
Hi guys!

I have a doubt regarding my profile. I am getting married this month and i have not received an ITA yet, which I am expecting in may as my crs will increase. However, i have a doubt. My marriage ceremony will be very simple including 10-12 (coz its an intercaste marriage) Members of both families and we wont be able to stay together as we both work in different cities and cant get transfer soon. Will it create a doubt in mind of VO post ITA. please guide.

I ll get marriage certificate immediately after ceremony and there will be some photographs.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
In typical cases, a marriage between a Canadian citizen and a foreigner is more susceptible to scrutiny - simply because Spousal sponsorship side tracks several checks required by the typical skilled worker immigration stream (such as Express Entry). One example of this is Medical Inadmissibility because of excessive demand. IRCC cannot enforce this on Spousal Sponsorship. Thus, the need for excessive scrutiny to assess the vadility of the marriage.

This is not the case with you as you are applying through Express Entry, so the screening is unlikely to be as severe. Also, your marriage will have taken place before receiving your ITA. Its actually easier to apply as a single person - more CRS points, lesser amount to show as proof of funds, lesser documentation (work experience documents, medicals etc...). For all these reasons, I do not foresee your marriage to be an issue with your application. Now that you have that out of the way, lets get to your real question.

For the purpose of Express Entry, after receiving an ITA, you will only be asked for your Marriage Certificate in the supporting documentation. The chances of being asked for additional information to prove the genuineness of your marriage are very remote, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

As long as you have your official marriage certificate, and additional proof's such as wedding pictures and the presence of some family members, then it should be fine. In addition,
  • Make sure to have joint bank accounts, if from India, update your passports to include your Spouse's name....the bottom line being, obtain as many official records/ Government documentation of your marital status as possible so as to rule out any doubts of it being a bogus marriage.
  • Even if you do live in different cities, make sure you take pictures of the times you meet, travel together.
  • Maintain email correspondence, text messages etc...
Lastly, since you will have a genuine marriage - you have nothing to fear :) Good luck!

Mahi Patel

May 6, 2022
Dear Sir,
I am From Gujarat. I had a Court Marriage With my husband in 2015 but we have simple court marriage and had a some pics but we dont have pheras pic. After that we had one baby girl and unfortunately she is no more after a few days . In 2021 my husband went to Canada for a study permit and shifted to canada. Now I want to apply for SOWP and we have a ring ceremony and other pics with our family but dont have pics of pheras. Is it ok or is it creating problems? Please help us if possible.