+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I mention Common Law?

kanoon22

Jul 13, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have a question. I have not declared my common-law partner in previous post graduate work permit application.

Now I am planning to apply for CEC PR, I was wondering if I declare my common law partner can it jeopardize my application as I did not mention common law in my work permit.

I even spoke with CIC agent and they said it is up to us to declare or not to declare common law as we have to prove it. However, if we declare it, we just include an explaination letter that we were not aware of common law, now that we got to know we are applying together.

Best,
-Amazu Egunjobi

Please advise. @legalfalcon @canuck_in_uk @scylla

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are aware of it now, you must declare your common-law partner. You can include an explanation letter as said above.

It isn't optional to declare, if later on you sponsor your partner (if they are not Canadian) or they apply and truthfully declare a common-law partner, you may have issues.

As to not being aware of it before, that's common and a letter of explanation helps. It should not jeopardize you in any way.

Reactions: jes_ON

kanoon22

Jul 13, 2020
If you are aware of it now, you must declare your common-law partner. You can include an explanation letter as said above.

It isn't optional to declare, if later on you sponsor your partner (if they are not Canadian) or they apply and truthfully declare a common-law partner, you may have issues.

As to not being aware of it before, that's common and a letter of explanation helps. It should not jeopardize you in any way.
Thank You so much for your prompt response, just wondering if you have ever seen a similar situation on this thread?

Thanks again.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Not on this thread, since your post is the 3rd one (and first, and mine was the 2nd)

On this forum? Yes, every week.

kanoon22

Jul 13, 2020
Oh sorry, I meant forum. I will certainly declare the relationship and apply with my partner.

Thank You