+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I have 1 year of experience in the occupation for which i get 50 points for a job offer

Zcvxcv

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
Hello, could someone please clarify. I have continuous three years of experience as a Lawyer. If I have a job offer from Canada for which i will get additional 50 points in FSW (lets say in a Sales manager position).
Must i already have previous 1 year of experience as a sales manager to get these additional 50 points for this job offer?
As I know, having minimum 1 year experience in the occupation you have a job offer is mandatory to get working visa. But for 50 points, it there same rule?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, could someone please clarify. I have continuous three years of experience as a Lawyer. If I have a job offer from Canada for which i will get additional 50 points in FSW (lets say in a Sales manager position).
Must i already have previous 1 year of experience as a sales manager to get these additional 50 points for this job offer?
As I know, having minimum 1 year experience in the occupation you have a job offer is mandatory to get working visa. But for 50 points, it there same rule?
No you will not get 50 points unless you have an approved LMIA. To get a closed work permit, you need to show you are experienced to do the job as the purpose of the LMIA is that no one in Canada can be hired.

Reactions: Zcvxcv

Zcvxcv

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
No you will not get 50 points unless you have an approved LMIA. To get a closed work permit, you need to show you are experienced to do the job as the purpose of the LMIA is that no one in Canada can be hired.
So I must have a minimum 1 year of experience as a Sales manager to get these 50 points. And even if I have an approved LMIA, I should still have minimum 1 year experience in this occupation.
Did I understood it right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So if I have an approved LMIA, then I can have 50 points even if i dont have 1 year experience in this occupation?
Or LMIA is impossible to get until you have 1 year experience in the field?
The purpose of the LMIA is for the employer to prove that you are the only person who can do the job. No one in Canada can do the job. If you get a LMIA, you can count 50 points but chances of a closed work permit are nil with no work experience.

What is your CRS score? If you get an ITA, IRCC may question your experience with the LMIA. You will not know until the review stage.

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) - Canada.ca

Zcvxcv

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
The purpose of the LMIA is for the employer to prove that you are the only person who can do the job. No one in Canada can do the job. If you get a LMIA, you can count 50 points but chances of a closed work permit are nil with no work experience.

What is your CRS score? If you get an ITA, IRCC may question your experience with the LMIA. You will not know until the review stage.

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) - Canada.ca
My crs score is around 465. If I have an employer with LMIA and i have around 4-5 months experience as a Sales manager. What are the chances Visa officer will not count my 50 points for this LMIA?) Thank you for your help

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My crs score is around 465. If I have an employer with LMIA and i have around 4-5 months experience as a Sales manager. What are the chances Visa officer will not count my 50 points for this LMIA?) Thank you for your help
Do you have a LMIA, yes or no? To get a closed work permit, you don't have enough experience. So you have 465 without the LMIA? Not sure if you would get ITA with that score.

Zcvxcv

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
Do you have a LMIA, yes or no? To get a closed work permit, you don't have enough experience. So you have 465 without the LMIA? Not sure if you would get ITA with that score.
I have an employer who is willing to make LMIA for me. And I have 465 points without LMIA. So I'm just wondering how much experience should I have for IRCC to approve my LMIA) thank you for your explanation, now i at least know how to correctly search here for the information about this topic) bcz it was a bit confusing at first