+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

short-term course on a PGWP

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
I'm currently in Canada on a PGWP. I plan to enroll in some courses that are part of the CPA PEP program that will take me around 5 months to complete. Based on a discussion with the CIC call center agent, I can enroll in this course without a study permit if the total length of the program is less than 6 months. Since this a part-time study program, they do not have an official length of the program, as it varies from individual to individual. Normally, this course is completed in 2 years but because of my university education, I was exempted from a majority of the modules, the length of the program was cut short to 5 months for me. Would I still need a study permit for this situation?

I would appreciate any advice on this!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm currently in Canada on a PGWP. I plan to enroll in some courses that are part of the CPA PEP program that will take me around 5 months to complete. Based on a discussion with the CIC call center agent, I can enroll in this course without a study permit if the total length of the program is less than 6 months. Since this a part-time study program, they do not have an official length of the program, as it varies from individual to individual. Normally, this course is completed in 2 years but because of my university education, I was exempted from a majority of the modules, the length of the program was cut short to 5 months for me. Would I still need a study permit for this situation?

I would appreciate any advice on this!
Think you need to consider the normal length of the program. It sounds like it is a part-time program but longer than 6 months. You have been exempted from some modules but that doesn't change what the length of the program on paper.

Rajrana

May 14, 2024
Hi there, Actually I am in the same boat, I am planning to pursue 6 month course on pgwp, just wanted to confirm that it would not affect PR application process at the end. Are taking short course affect PR process ?? Please please please reply…

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there, Actually I am in the same boat, I am planning to pursue 6 month course on pgwp, just wanted to confirm that it would not affect PR application process at the end. Are taking short course affect PR process ?? Please please please reply…
The exact length will be important. FT or PT?