+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

shopping

charvi

May 2, 2011
hey i am doing my shopping over here in india....i just wanted to know whether clothes and all such things(footwear) is expensive in canada or not.......please give me info...

anumatri

Dec 9, 2009
Visa Office......
buffualo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-10-2010
Med's Request
waiting ...............

saleem785javed

Star Member
May 27, 2010
canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charvi said:
hey i am doing my shopping over here in india....i just wanted to know whether clothes and all such things(footwear) is expensive in canada or not.......please give me info...
hi charvi,

Yes they are and anyways we feel everything expensive in the beginning as we will be new and we don't know how to buy from where to buy generally there will be sales going on to pick it up you should be there at right place(at malls) and right time(before time limit). So my suggestion is pack all the things that you can be able to bring.

For me i felt that i would a brought a mixi grinder from india as i didn't found here, i found all blenders which are not good enough to grind.

If you are coming for the first time where ever you bring is tax free from second time on you will be taxed for the items you bring ex: gold first time you can bring any amount of it, from second time you have to pay tax for it (which i don't know and i didn't brought).

If you are landing in ontario province then for health card you need to wait for 90days so better take health insurance for that period and if not at least carry some general medicines.

Most important if you have driving licence from india get a authorisation letter from respective RTO about your driving history on a Letter head which i didn't if you want to know more information you can search in this forum for that.

regards,
saleem

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
Hi Saleemjaved
Thanks for the information....Won't it be voltage problem if we bring grinder/mixer from Asia?
What about curtains,comforters,blankets?Are these expensive there?
regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
charvi said:
Simply put... NO.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goodwill said:
Hi Saleemjaved
Thanks for the information....Won't it be voltage problem if we bring grinder/mixer from Asia?
regards
Hi,
The electric power and frequency in Canada is110 V at 50 HZ . Evne if you buy dual voltage (110-220, 50/60 HZ ) from India, there could be the warranty problem and in case you need repair or service, the cost may be almost same or higher than a new in Canada.
Other items like clothing, curtains atc and shoes also you may get cheap in Outlet malls or Walmart during sale period.

So shopping as a preparation for moving to Canada should be limited to essential things, to be used immediately on arrival here and also should not exceed the allowed baggage allowance of the airline you travel. Sending by cargo is also expensive considering all the efforts for shopping and clearing,

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
Thanks Wilson....
Can u tell in which months,usually the sale starts in the malls/wallmart?

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
We have found a mix of cheap and expensive. White goods such as washing machines, dryers, cookers etc seem to be more expensive than the UK, but they also tend to be bigger too so maybe that's why.
Clothing can be bought cheaply if you are willing to look around. We have pretty much completed our boy's summer wardrobes from Walmart, Superstore and a few more expensive pieces from The Children's Place. They are only 2yrs so will grow out of most of it really quickly so it's not worth spending out on big brand names.
Shoe stores like Payless seem reasonable, but I am a shoe addict so have shipped all of mine from England rather than attempting to replace them.
Homewares are easy to find in Walmart or Canadian Tire as they regularly have things on sale.
The thing I have found strange is that stores have things on sale when people actually need them e.g. Summer clothing, BBQs or camping equipment on sale at the start of the summer where in the UK the prices seem to increase and sales are at the end of the season....weird, it's almost as if the Canadian stores actually understand why people are buying products at certain times of the year!! :D

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canooknic said:
We have found a mix of cheap and expensive. White goods such as washing machines, dryers, cookers etc seem to be more expensive than the UK, but they also tend to be bigger too so maybe that's why.
Clothing can be bought cheaply if you are willing to look around. We have pretty much completed our boy's summer wardrobes from Walmart, Superstore and a few more expensive pieces from The Children's Place. They are only 2yrs so will grow out of most of it really quickly so it's not worth spending out on big brand names.
Shoe stores like Payless seem reasonable, but I am a shoe addict so have shipped all of mine from England rather than attempting to replace them.
Homewares are easy to find in Walmart or Canadian Tire as they regularly have things on sale.
The thing I have found strange is that stores have things on sale when people actually need them e.g. Summer clothing, BBQs or camping equipment on sale at the start of the summer where in the UK the prices seem to increase and sales are at the end of the season....weird, it's almost as if the Canadian stores actually understand why people are buying products at certain times of the year!! :D
Thats really cool info.... thnx for sharing

saleem785javed

Star Member
May 27, 2010
canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goodwill said:
Hi Saleemjaved
regards
Hello brother,

As other members suggested bring the items which are essential. As i am southern part of india and we use grinder frequently and when i went to buy here in malls i found was blenders. When you are about to buy as the sales person about using it in canada. About clothing as i said earlier you can find them for cheap price but you need to research and you have to be there at right time why i am saying this because it happened to me as we went one day late the same item was costing almost double the sales price.

dont bring curtains,comforters, you can bring one light weight blanket/person if u want and again it depends on type of accommodation you are going to take(furnished/unfurnished).

What i feel is we will be new and it will take some time to know your surrounding places and areas, till that time I think we can't spend without the needful items(blanket..etc ..etc..)

dont go with my words please take the suggestions from senior members as well.

regards,
saleem

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goodwill said:
Thanks Wilson....
Can u tell in which months,usually the sale starts in the malls/wallmart?
There are frequent sales in the malls and outlet but mostly huge sales will take place in the beginning of each season like winter sale, Spring sale, Summer sale like that. There are flyers distributed by the malls in advance. Each province have manufacturer's outlets and also in most of the large malls. You have to compare where it would be cheap. Those who have US visa can cross the boarder for some shopping. We used to go to Buffalo some times and do some shopping in the outlet malls which are cheaper than Canada by price as well as lesser tax.

S

shibuya

Hi Saleem,
I think u need a Sumeet Mixer - Grinder to make idlis i guess. But I think the big black stone grinder is much better and u get tasty idlis & dosas with sambhar. Will the Airline allow this stone thing to be ferried across keeping in mind the South Indian aspect. ;D ;D

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Hi, you may also check out Dollarama (dollar store), NOT for food, clothes or bigger items, but for smaller things you need around the house. Although some of their items cost over a dollar now, they are still way cheaper than buying from the bigger places.

Also check out No Frills as this is like an outlet of Superstore.

Try to be frugal in the beginning, this really helps stretch out your funds until you get a job.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I totally forgot about the dollar stores!! They sell things like kitchen utensils, table clothes, glasses/cups etc.

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Canooknic said:
I totally forgot about the dollar stores!! They sell things like kitchen utensils, table clothes, glasses/cups etc.
Dollaramas are really great. I cannot say the same for the smaller dollar store chains. There are a lot of items in Dollarama which are good quality and I cannot believe they are only being sold at those prices.