+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Several Questions

Kana Da

Jan 19, 2011
Hello,
I know I am new to this forum, however, I have spent a lot of time going through the Canadian immigration website and through this forum. However, quite a few questions have come up:

Let me introduce myself first:

I am from Austria, just turned 30, working in a management position in hospitality (currently in Australia). Looking at this, I should still be eligible for the Working Holiday Program, although I have not found any official information about this program. I have just found all those agencies offering the WHP. I guess they need to act as some kind of guarantee.

Looking at the Points Calculator, I come up with around 70 points, although the Education part is a little bit difficult, as we have a different schooling system in Europe. 4 years primary school, 8 years Gymnasium (high school?) with Matura/ Abitur, 2 years hotel management school with a diploma. Makes 14 years of school education and a diploma. Can I tick "You have a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study." and get 20 points?

Going through the police clearance part:
I have lived in several countries, where they do not even provide police clearances or where it seems to be an impossible mission to get one (eg UAE and China). However, looking at the Appendix A checklist of the Vienna embassy (citizen) and the Sydney embassy (more than a year), I do not even need to provide police clearances. Does the paragraph that says If your application is received at the CIO on or after June 26, 2010, you are strongly encouraged to submit your police certificates with your application to the CIO. If you are unable to obtain all the necessary police certificates, you may still send your application to the CIO without them. However, please note that if your application is placed into processing you must be ready to submit them to the visa office when requested. not refer to the Provinical Nominee or Quebec applicant refer?

I would like to take my partner (not Canadian) along with me - common-law-partner. However, I have not really found a part in the immigration process, where you need to proof the partnership. In Australia you need to submit photos, bank statements, letters, etc. But in Canada I have not found the part where you need to proof it (or does it come in an interview).

Proof of funds. I found the amount that I need to have available, however, I have not found a way that is accepted by Immigration in order to proof having those funds (besides cash). Is a bank statement enough. Or do you need to have several throughout a couple of weeks/ months. Otherwise I could get the money on my account, get a print out, and transfer the money back to a person that might have borrowed me some money.

Somehow, I have the feeling that the immigration process as Skilled Worker is not THAT difficult, although quite complex. Going through the forms it makes kind of sense, and is similar to other countries I have worked (work permits only).

Besides the forms you need obviously:
- language test
- reference letters from employers (although none of them mentions my salary, and I do not have any business cards)
- education stuff
- photos
- medicals
- passport copy (and work visa copy)
- pay the fees

Is there a form that you need to bring to the panel doctor? I have only found names of doctors but no forms or prices.

Once you have everything completed, you send the whole thing to Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada. Is it correct, that I do not deal with an embassy in the beginning. Nothing needs to be submitted to the embassy?
Looking at the processing times, I get a little bit confused. Because why are the processing times quoted for the various embassies, if the application is submitted to CIO in Canada. Or do they forward it to their embassies? Sydney: 9 months, Vienna: 10 months.

I am sure I will have some more questions in regards to the process, however, it would be nice if somebody could bring some light in the dark ;-)

Thanks,
Kana Da

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kana Da said:
Hello,
I know I am new to this forum, however, I have spent a lot of time going through the Canadian immigration website and through this forum. However, quite a few questions have come up:

Let me introduce myself first:

I am from Austria, just turned 30, working in a management position in hospitality (currently in Australia). Looking at this, I should still be eligible for the Working Holiday Program, although I have not found any official information about this program. I have just found all those agencies offering the WHP. I guess they need to act as some kind of guarantee.

Looking at the Points Calculator, I come up with around 70 points, although the Education part is a little bit difficult, as we have a different schooling system in Europe. 4 years primary school, 8 years Gymnasium (high school?) with Matura/ Abitur, 2 years hotel management school with a diploma. Makes 14 years of school education and a diploma. Can I tick "You have a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study." and get 20 points?

Going through the police clearance part:
I have lived in several countries, where they do not even provide police clearances or where it seems to be an impossible mission to get one (eg UAE and China). However, looking at the Appendix A checklist of the Vienna embassy (citizen) and the Sydney embassy (more than a year), I do not even need to provide police clearances. Does the paragraph that says If your application is received at the CIO on or after June 26, 2010, you are strongly encouraged to submit your police certificates with your application to the CIO. If you are unable to obtain all the necessary police certificates, you may still send your application to the CIO without them. However, please note that if your application is placed into processing you must be ready to submit them to the visa office when requested. not refer to the Provinical Nominee or Quebec applicant refer?

I would like to take my partner (not Canadian) along with me - common-law-partner. However, I have not really found a part in the immigration process, where you need to proof the partnership. In Australia you need to submit photos, bank statements, letters, etc. But in Canada I have not found the part where you need to proof it (or does it come in an interview).

Proof of funds. I found the amount that I need to have available, however, I have not found a way that is accepted by Immigration in order to proof having those funds (besides cash). Is a bank statement enough. Or do you need to have several throughout a couple of weeks/ months. Otherwise I could get the money on my account, get a print out, and transfer the money back to a person that might have borrowed me some money.

Somehow, I have the feeling that the immigration process as Skilled Worker is not THAT difficult, although quite complex. Going through the forms it makes kind of sense, and is similar to other countries I have worked (work permits only).

Besides the forms you need obviously:
- language test
- reference letters from employers (although none of them mentions my salary, and I do not have any business cards)
- education stuff
- photos
- medicals
- passport copy (and work visa copy)
- pay the fees

Is there a form that you need to bring to the panel doctor? I have only found names of doctors but no forms or prices.

Once you have everything completed, you send the whole thing to Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada. Is it correct, that I do not deal with an embassy in the beginning. Nothing needs to be submitted to the embassy?
Looking at the processing times, I get a little bit confused. Because why are the processing times quoted for the various embassies, if the application is submitted to CIO in Canada. Or do they forward it to their embassies? Sydney: 9 months, Vienna: 10 months.

I am sure I will have some more questions in regards to the process, however, it would be nice if somebody could bring some light in the dark ;-)

Thanks,
Kana Da
1. For the Working Holiday Program, you don't appear to be eligible see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf page 132 Under 30 and require a post graduate degree in forestry agriculture or tourism, and you have to be residing in Austria. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/austria-autriche/study-etudie/iec-eic.aspx?lang=eng
2. Yes you would get 20 points for your 2 year diploma.
3. Have you 1 years experience in the list of "29" occupations? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list If not without a certified job offer you don't qualify for Federal Skilled worker.
4. If you pass the barrier in #3, most office's would require about 3 months bank statements to prove you have the required funds. You can't borrow the funds.
5. Only if you qualify, will the visa office issue medical instructions.
6. You send your complete application to CIO Sydney, if you qualify, then they will send it to the overseas office either Vienna or if you have been admitted to Australia for 1 year, Sydney Au.
7. You still have to apply for the Police Certificates and enclose the refusals with your application for any countries where you have resided for 6 months or more.
8. You should re-read the document checklist for Vienna, and note the documents you have to supply as well for your C/law spouse. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37042.pdf

Kana Da

Jan 19, 2011
Thank you for your quick reply and the helpful answers:
Yes, I would have one of the 29 occupations - 0631 Restaurant and Food Service Managers

In regards to the police clearances: some of the countries are quite easy, although being abroad is a little bit a pain in the ***. Some of them however are a little bit more difficult, but I guess I am relying on the point where it says that you COULD submit your application without police clearances. So if I had some from Austria, Germany and Australia, but skip the ones from China and UAE, then I might be fine (maybe not), although I still do not find the point where it says that you are required to submit police clearance when applying for federal skilled worker (no, I am not trying to be a smart***, but if it was required then it should be mentioned in the checklist, shouldn't it).

The definition of common-law-partnership is still a little bit vague. Is a 2 year girlfriend a common-law-partnership? No marriage planned. Proof would be car insurance, bank account together, same address.

Can you change the visa office once an interview has been scheduled? If I mention Sydney as VO, but then move back to Austria or somewhere else eg, I would have a little problem with an interview in Sydney :) Or vice versa. I put down Vienna, but then I might still be in Australia.

Thanks for your patience,
Kana Da

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are common law if you have been living together at the same address for a minimum of one full year.

No - you can't change the visa office once an interview has been scheduled. Choose carefully.

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
You have to provide the Police Clerance Certificate from all the countries where you have lived for 60 months or more, after attaining the age of 18 years, the paragraph in Visa Office Specific Check lists means, that If you cant provide the PCC from all location at this moment, you can submit the application without these, However at a later stage when your case progreeses, you will be required to provide the PCC from the leftover countries, or else you need to explain why you cant provide.

Rgearding UAE, I think to get te PCC from UAE is not much dificult, Just go the below link and you will have all the ifnormation available there.
http://www.dubai.ae/en.portal?topic,Article_000806,1,&_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=general

Kana Da

Jan 19, 2011
Thanks, but it is quite a procedure.
Where do I get a fingerprint card from? Can I use the FBI template for the UAE embassy?
Do I just print them on normal A4 paper or do I need a special paper.

So I send the stuff to the UAE embassy in Canberra for certification, they send it back to me, then I send it to the UAE, and hopefully I will get the police clearance. What a rip-off by various offices to get a big piece of the cake...