+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seriously Confused.

pred8er

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi Folks,

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation.

I am a US Citizen working in Canada on a work permit for the last few years (maybe 5 years).

I was thinking of getting a Landed immigrant status or PR. Not sure if they are the same

However recently I do kinda of want to move back to the States and work there for a few years.

My main question is: Can I apply for a landed immgrant status in Canada live there for a year or so, and move back to the States for a bit and move back to Canada whenever I want as a Landed immigrant?

I know with a PR you have to stay a minimum of 2 years to get the PD status but can i move back and forth between US and Canada whenever I want and for however long I want.

Thanks Guys I have been very confused as to how this stuff works, I spoke to a immigration lawyer and he says I can get landed immigrant status and just visit canada every year or so and just keep that status forever. but that kinda doesnt seem true to me.

P.S. I am not to bothered about getting PR status just so that I can move between Canada and US for work whenever I want. I would probably go through having my wife (canadian citizen) sponsor me for landed immigrant status.

Any information anyone can offer would be fantastic.

thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to stay in Canada 2 years out of every 5 to keep your PR status. If you get PR status, then live in Canada for a year, then move back to the states, you have to return to Canada for another year before your 5 year period is up. This doesn't have to be a consecutive stay. If you spend 3 months in Canada every year out of the 4 years you are living in the US, it would also be fulfilled.

Your PR card is valid for 5 years. When you apply to renew it, you have to list your absences from Canada in the previous 5 years. If you were outside Canada for more than 1095 days (3 years) before you apply, they will deny your PR card and cancel your PR status.

In addition to that, if the border guys suspect on entry that you have lost your PR status because you didn't meet the residency requirements, they may want to cancel your PR status right then and may give you a time limit to prove that you have been living in Canada.

There are certain exceptions where PR's are allowed to live outside Canada and still considered to meet the residency requirements. Those are if you are working for a Canadian company and they transfer you to an office abroad or if you have a PR spouse who is transferred that way or if you have a Canadian citizen spouse you are living with.