+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separation during PR application

askad

Jul 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

We had submitted our PR application 3 months before, medical, biometrics everything is completed and successfully cleared.

I am the principal applicant, and I am a Canadian residents(Work permit holder). My spouse is in India, and she is dependent in our joined- PR application.
Right now we are undergoing a divorce. I would like to know how I can remove my spouse from the PR application.

Please note that due to my work situation, I was not able to travel back to my country and complete the DIVORCE paperwork. Also, the matter of fact is we never lived together after the marriage. It has been almost 13 months since we are in this long-distance situation.

We have mutually decided to get separated and she is not keen to come to Canada now.

1) Can I change her status as non-accompanying with this reasoning?
2) Since there is no paperwork that I can present to IRCC, how can I remove my spouse from my application?

Will this impact my PR application in any way?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

We had submitted our PR application 3 months before, medical, biometrics everything is completed and successfully cleared.

I am the principal applicant, and I am a Canadian residents(Work permit holder). My spouse is in India, and she is dependent in our joined- PR application.
Right now we are undergoing a divorce. I would like to know how I can remove my spouse from the PR application.

Please note that due to my work situation, I was not able to travel back to my country and complete the DIVORCE paperwork. Also, the matter of fact is we never lived together after the marriage. It has been almost 13 months since we are in this long-distance situation.

We have mutually decided to get separated and she is not keen to come to Canada now.

1) Can I change her status as non-accompanying with this reasoning?
2) Since there is no paperwork that I can present to IRCC, how can I remove my spouse from my application?

Will this impact my PR application in any way?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
1 . Easiest option is to change her to non-accompanying. Also to indicate in your webform that you are no longer in a relationship but have not been able to complete divorce yet.
2. You won’t be able easily if you aren’t divorced which is why going the non-accompanying route would be best while declaring that you are no longer in a relationship but aren’t divorced yet. She will still have to complete a medical if she hasn’t yet. You could technically try by showing you haven’t lived together and have not visited each other since sponsorship started and including statements from the both of you that you have separated but if it has only been around a year that is likely not enough.