+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separated and applying with Kid

akasharda

Oct 26, 2019
Hi,

I am planning to apply for PR for my kid and myself from India. I am separated (not legally or divorced) from my husband for quite some time. I wanted guidance on:
a. If I can apply for PR without involving my husband. If I can't then what documents will I need from my husband to apply for PR?
b. Can I apply only for myself with involving my husband and later sponsor my kid for PR?

TIA

canadavisa000

Star Member
May 16, 2019
I am not a legal representative to comment But based on my knowledge, while filling the express entry PR form, it asks you "Marital status".

1. if you choose " Married" then you will have to provide marriage certificate & other details about husband. Without providing all such info you can't proceed further.
2. if you choose "Divorced/separated" -> then you need to submit legal document for the proof. Without providing all such info you can't proceed further.

Of course, if you alone meet the express entry requirement, you can go ahead apply for PR for yourself (excluding husband & Kid). But there will be a "Family Details" section where you need to provide your husband, kid and parents details. Adding Kid or Husband to your application as dependent is your choice and it is not mandatory.

You are a brave women and taking strong decision. Take right decisions and move ahead. All the best for your future.

akasharda

Oct 26, 2019
I am not a legal representative to comment But based on my knowledge, while filling the express entry PR form, it asks you "Marital status".

1. if you choose " Married" then you will have to provide marriage certificate & other details about husband. Without providing all such info you can't proceed further.
2. if you choose "Divorced/separated" -> then you need to submit legal document for the proof. Without providing all such info you can't proceed further.

Of course, if you alone meet the express entry requirement, you can go ahead apply for PR for yourself (excluding husband & Kid). But there will be a "Family Details" section where you need to provide your husband, kid and parents details. Adding Kid or Husband to your application as dependent is your choice and it is not mandatory.

You are a brave women and taking strong decision. Take right decisions and move ahead. All the best for your future.
Thank you @canadavisa000 for the advise.