+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sent outland application beginning of May, received May 10 - does this bode well

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
Hello!

I'm (Canadian) sponsoring my husband (American) and we submitted our application beginning of May and just received an email today saying it was received May 10th and that it was being processed.

Does this bode well on how quickly the application will go? Or is the receiving part distinct from the processing of the application?

We're pretty happy it got received and accepted so quickly!

MT

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

That's AOR, Acknowledgement of Receipt. It is usually sent out 3-4 weeks after an app is received and doesn't mean anything in terms of processing.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
There are 2 parts to the process: sponsor approval and applicant approval. You will want to check the May applicant thread to see what the timeline is for sponsor approval. i believe it's somewhere around 30-40ish days, maybe a bit more. How quickly the sponsor applicaiton processes really isn't an indication of how quick the applicant's applicaiton will process, since different offices and officers process the applications.
Another thread for you to check out is the ottawa thread, as this is where the US applicaiton will go. You will be able to see how quickly US applications are processing right now... most are getting approved in 2-3 months total time!

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

That's AOR, Acknowledgement of Receipt. It is usually sent out 3-4 weeks after an app is received and doesn't mean anything in terms of processing.
Ahh that's too bad. But at least it means it passed inspection/everything filled out correctly/etc, right? Or no

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
drahkur said:
Ahh that's too bad. But at least it means it passed inspection/everything filled out correctly/etc, right? Or no
AOR means your applications have been considered complete and CIC acknowledges the date it was received. It really doesn't mean anything about approval. The next step will be sponsor approval, then the applicant's application will be sent to Ottawa for processing and it will sit in queue until picked up for processing. no one can really give an exact timeline. All we can go by is what the current "trend" is.

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
AOR means your applications have been considered complete and CIC acknowledges the date it was received. The next step will be sponsor approval.
Well that puts my mind at ease a bit for sure. :)

I'm a little worried about sponsor approval, I met all the requirements, however I'm finishing up school and an unpaid work placement right now. I had a job when I was applying for sponsorship but I do not currently. Will this significantly affect my chances of being approved?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
drahkur said:
Well that puts my mind at ease a bit for sure. :)

I'm a little worried about sponsor approval, I met all the requirements, however I'm finishing up school and an unpaid work placement right now. I had a job when I was applying for sponsorship but I do not currently. Will this significantly affect my chances of being approved?
no. there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, and it is not required for the sponsor to be employed. there are many many many sponsors who are students or unemployed and are approved without issue. unless you are on welfare, have filed for bankruptcy, been charged with domestic violence, or have some serious criminal issue, there really is a very slim chance of being rejected as a sponsor.

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
no. there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, and it is not required for the sponsor to be employed. there are many many many sponsors who are students or unemployed and are approved without issue. unless you are on welfare, have filed for bankruptcy, been charged with domestic violence, or have some serious criminal issue, there really is a very slim chance of being rejected as a sponsor.
Fantastic. You've definitely put my mind at ease here, thank you

Loveactually

Star Member
Jan 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
File Transfer...
11-07-2016
Med's Done....
Done upfront
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
COPR 08-18-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
Mines was received may 10 also I have not heard is that bad news

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Loveactually said:
Mines was received may 10 also I have not heard is that bad news
again, no. please refer to the current processing time for sponsor approval. This is available on the CIC website, and i'm sure the may applicant thread will also have this information. it is quite common to not hear anything for 30-60 days or longer. how quickly you'll get sponsor approval depends on how long it's taking to process.

Loveactually

Star Member
Jan 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016