+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self employed

nonoy

Aug 29, 2008
hi... just want to hear any opinion from you... i was denied a wp last january and right now i am thinking of applying for entrepreneur/investor/selfemployed category.... i worked in an IT field and at the same time in health services. i applied under the social service worker last jan and was denied.
i am an all around it guy in our company dealing with network/systems/web, basically i can be under this category Major group 52 Technical and Skilled Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport.... because i can manipulate programs for our product design. and also i am a volunteer in our community as a media arts person..
i appreciate your input..

thanks

Skeptic

Star Member
Apr 11, 2010
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Feb-2010
Doc's Request.
16-Apr-2010
AOR Received.
18-Dec-2010
File Transfer...
20-Apr-2010, 16-Nov-2011
I do not believe Major Group 52 is appropriate unless you derive a significant income from those activities or are a well known practicioner. I think it would be like proving you have experience in a listed NOC for FSW, you would need to document actual and substantial work experience in theatre or the arts. You can see if anyone else has ideas, but I don't expect this is an easy category to qualify under. The few stories I have heard of even very well known artists and performers is that they are very strict in these kind of categories.

I think this group is really meant for professional atheletes, and theatre, film, music, visual artists and their associates trades.

They define relevant experience on the CIC website here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/definitions.asp

a.a self-employed person, means a minimum of two years of experience, during the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a decision is made on the application. The experience must consist of:
i.in respect of cultural activities,
A.two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities, or
B.two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural activities, or
C.a combination of a one-year period of experience described in (A), above, and a one-year period of experience described in (B), above,

Reactions: kaur_Guru