+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed - Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Mxf38

Mar 5, 2018
Hiya,

My (common-law) partner & I are looking for a bit of guidance on applying for a BOWP as we wait for our PR (CEC) to be processed. For reference, our current IEC's expire on Sep 4, 2020. We submitted our PR in June 2020 & I am attempting to apply for our BOWP to cover us while we wait for our PR to be approved/denied.

My partner (the primary PR applicant) normally works for an employer on a (zero hours) full-time basis, however, since COVID hit he's been doing a secondary contract with another company under his own business (self-employed). The original job is 'on hold' which he can return to at any time.

After reading form IMM5710 I'm a little confused as to what he would need to provide for proof of employment since it asks for an LMIA or Offer of Employment (LMIA exempt). In this case, would he just need to provide a letter from his regular employer stating that he's employed & will continue to be employed by them (it asks for the expected duration of employment)? Also, is it possible to be working as 'self-employed' whilst on the BOWP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Do you have an Acknowledgement of Receipt letter from the EE system - issued as soon as you upload a completed application.
The AoR is the enabling document for the BOWP. You fill out the IMM 5710 for an Open Work Permit and then submit the AoR as part of the upload. The spouse of a BOWP holder also gets an open work permit only if the PA is employed in a skilled job. You can send the 2 applications together if you can show ongoing employment in skilled work on the PA's part. Then both will be issued at the same time with the same expiry.
Expected duration of employment? Ask for a year to be sure you cover the CEC processing.