+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Advice: Work Permit, Job Offer, and PR Eligibility

Robin12

Apr 18, 2024
Hi,
I received my open work permit on November 15, 2023, and it will expire on November 15, 2026. I've been offered a temporary employment as an electrical engineering intern which is paid and full time in Kingston, Ontario, starting in May 2024 and concluding in August 2025. My query is whether I would be eligible to apply for permanent residency via PNP or Express Entry after completing a year in this job. Additionally, I would like to know the NOC category for this position. Thank you.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
I received my open work permit on November 15, 2023, and it will expire on November 15, 2026. I've been offered a temporary employment as an electrical engineering intern which is paid and full time in Kingston, Ontario, starting in May 2024 and concluding in August 2025. My query is whether I would be eligible to apply for permanent residency via PNP or Express Entry after completing a year in this job. Additionally, I would like to know the NOC category for this position. Thank you.
NOC is based on your job responsibilites so check the database to find your NOC. Yes, you may be eligible for EE or OINP. There are 9 OINP streams so do some research and see which one fits.

Robin12

Apr 18, 2024
NOC is based on your job responsibilites so check the database to find your NOC. Yes, you may be eligible for EE or OINP. There are 9 OINP streams so do some research and see which one fits.
Thank you for your reply. I have a question that I'd like to clarify. Can the experience gained from 'temporary employment' be used to apply for EE or OINP? I've come across various options on this topic, and I want to resolve this uncertainty. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I have a question that I'd like to clarify. Can the experience gained from 'temporary employment' be used to apply for EE or OINP? I've come across various options on this topic, and I want to resolve this uncertainty. Thank you.
What do you mean by “temporary employment”? You can count Canadian experience on PGWP or open work permit, not during studies. You can count foreign experience. Are you an employee of this company or on contract/self employed? From your paycheck is EI, CPP etc. deducted. If self employed in Canada then that will not count.

Last edited: