+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Advice: Paths to Canadian PR for Self-Employed IT Professional

jamescloud

Jun 29, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice on obtaining permanent residency in Canada.

A few questions:
  1. Has anyone successfully gotten PR as a self-employed person? The government site says this option is paused until 2027.
  2. What other business-related paths to PR are available?
  3. My background: self-employed, small IT business owner, and some IT employee experience. How can I leverage this for PR?
  4. Are there non-business PR options? How can someone with diverse skills (not a specific trade) find employment?
  5. I'm coming to Canada soon on a working holiday visa. What's the best way to transition from this to PR?
Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice on obtaining permanent residency in Canada.

A few questions:
  1. Has anyone successfully gotten PR as a self-employed person? The government site says this option is paused until 2027.
  2. What other business-related paths to PR are available?
  3. My background: self-employed, small IT business owner, and some IT employee experience. How can I leverage this for PR?
  4. Are there non-business PR options? How can someone with diverse skills (not a specific trade) find employment?
  5. I'm coming to Canada soon on a working holiday visa. What's the best way to transition from this to PR?
Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
- Yes, people have certainly obtained PR through the self-employment stream. However I don't think this program would be for you even if it was open. Suggest researching it further to understand who qualifies. This is for individuals who participate in athletics or cultural activities at a world class level.
- Express Entry is an option if you can score the required points to be selected through the general draws. Also some provincial programs if you have a significant amount of savings and can invest a significant amount of capital in starting a business in Canada. Also read up on the Start Up Visa program although this comes with its own challenges and restrictions.
- You will need to dedicate more time to researching Canada's immigration programs or alternatively hire a lawyer to assist you.
- I don't know what you mean by "non-business PR options". But again, no short cut to completing a lot more reading / research yourself, apart from hiring a lawyer to help you. Same answer to your last question. You need to spend way more time researching if you are in fact serious about getting PR.

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
It's a little misunderstanding. Self employed stream is for artists, athletes, etc.

In your case, you need to prove your experience with references, contracts, registration and incorporating documents of your small business. your website, your freelance accounts, your tax returns, etc. All you can provide to prove your activity.

And you are good to go for EE.

Last edited:

jamescloud

Jun 29, 2024
- Yes, people have certainly obtained PR through the self-employment stream. However I don't think this program would be for you even if it was open. Suggest researching it further to understand who qualifies. This is for individuals who participate in athletics or cultural activities at a world class level.
- Express Entry is an option if you can score the required points to be selected through the general draws. Also some provincial programs if you have a significant amount of savings and can invest a significant amount of capital in starting a business in Canada. Also read up on the Start Up Visa program although this comes with its own challenges and restrictions.
- You will need to dedicate more time to researching Canada's immigration programs or alternatively hire a lawyer to assist you.
- I don't know what you mean by "non-business PR options". But again, no short cut to completing a lot more reading / research yourself, apart from hiring a lawyer to help you. Same answer to your last question. You need to spend way more time researching if you are in fact serious about getting PR.
Thanks!

jamescloud

Jun 29, 2024
It's a little misunderstanding. Self employed stream is for artists, athletes, etc.

In your case, you need to prove your experience with references, contracts, registration and incorporating documents of your small business. your website, your freelance accounts, your tax returns, etc. All you can provide to prove your activity.

And you are good to go for EE.
Appreciate your comments. Will do more research, because for each of us is different.

Reactions: CanGoldDigger