+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Advice on ARC and PR Application After Exclusion Order

Lenny712

Jul 20, 2024
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on a challenging situation. Almost ten years ago, I was issued an exclusion order from Canada for overstaying my student visa, which led to a one-year ban from the country. I was not given a Certificate of Departure, and the CBSA paid for my removal. According to the IRCC website, I now need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) if I want to come back. I am planning on applying for PR soon, as a federal skilled worker.

Here’s what I understand so far: I need to submit an ARC application along with my Permanent Residency (PR) application. I must pay the processing fees for both, and if my ARC is approved, IRCC will instruct me to reimburse the removal costs that CBSA covered. I plan to write a detailed letter explaining the circumstances of my removal and affirming my intent to live and settle in Canada legally. I’ll also provide proof of my departure from Canada, such as passport stamps, even though I'm sure the authorities are already aware that I left.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to strengthen my ARC application. What should I include to make my case more compelling?
Are there any additional documents or evidence I should include to support my application?

I am not planning to hire an immigration lawyer or consultant to assist with the process, but might if suggested otherwise.

Lastly, if anyone has been through this process, what can I expect in terms of timeline and steps involved?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on a challenging situation. Almost ten years ago, I was issued an exclusion order from Canada for overstaying my student visa, which led to a one-year ban from the country. I was not given a Certificate of Departure, and the CBSA paid for my removal. According to the IRCC website, I now need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) if I want to come back. I am planning on applying for PR soon, as a federal skilled worker.

Here’s what I understand so far: I need to submit an ARC application along with my Permanent Residency (PR) application. I must pay the processing fees for both, and if my ARC is approved, IRCC will instruct me to reimburse the removal costs that CBSA covered. I plan to write a detailed letter explaining the circumstances of my removal and affirming my intent to live and settle in Canada legally. I’ll also provide proof of my departure from Canada, such as passport stamps, even though I'm sure the authorities are already aware that I left.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to strengthen my ARC application. What should I include to make my case more compelling?
Are there any additional documents or evidence I should include to support my application?

I am not planning to hire an immigration lawyer or consultant to assist with the process, but might if suggested otherwise.

Lastly, if anyone has been through this process, what can I expect in terms of timeline and steps involved?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Any specific reason why you were not issued IMM0056? Your understanding is accurate and you should continue to follow the application guide. Also, there's no set timeline for processing of these applications so you would need a lot of patience.

You might want to look at this thread.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/authorization-to-return-to-canada.40612/page-110

All the best!

Lenny712

Jul 20, 2024
Any specific reason why you were not issued IMM0056? Your understanding is accurate and you should continue to follow the application guide. Also, there's no set timeline for processing of these applications so you would need a lot of patience.

You might want to look at this thread.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/authorization-to-return-to-canada.40612/page-110

All the best!
Hello,
I have no idea why i was not issued the certificate of departure I was not aware of that document, I only have the exclusion order.
Thanks for your response, I'm checking out that thread now