+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Advice for Reapplying for Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) – Visa Refused

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
Hello everyone,

I hope you all are doing well. I am reaching out for advice and insights regarding the reapplication process for my wife’s Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). Here's a bit about our situation:

I am an international student currently residing in Ottawa, Ontario, pursuing a Master’s degree. I started my program in the Fall of 2023. My study permit application was submitted from Doha, Qatar, and about a month later, I got married in Pakistan. Since our marriage was arranged and not finalized at the time of my initial application, I did not mention it in my study permit application.

Upon arriving in Canada, I began preparing the application for my wife to join me here. We applied through a visa consultant and included the following documents in our submission:

- Marriage Certificate attested by the Government of Pakistan and Foreign Affairs
- Wedding pictures
- Proof of exchange of gifts
- My properties in Pakistan
- My wife’s bank statements
- My bank statements
- Letters from family and friends as proof of our wedding
- Enrollment letter from my university
- Medical examination results (completed and submitted with the application)
- A letter from me stating that I will sponsor my wife’s stay in Canada
- All other necessary documents

We submitted the application at the beginning of March 2024. Unfortunately, at the end of June 2024, her visa was refused on the following grounds:

1. Lack of significant family ties outside Canada
2. The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
3. Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence.

I have recently requested GCMS notes to gain a clearer understanding of what might have gone wrong with our application. However, I am unsure about what we can do differently next time to improve our chances. Additionally, I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, during this winter for which I have a doctor's note.

I am open to any suggestions or insights that might help us see what we are missing and how we can strengthen our reapplication. Your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and support.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So when you entered Canada, you changed status to married on arrival as you were married at the time of entry? Did you get study permit approved before or after marriage?

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
So when you entered Canada, you changed status to married on arrival as you were married at the time of entry? Did you get study permit approved before or after marriage?
I did not change it on arrival however, I applied for a CO-OP work permit in November 2023 and I mentioned that I was married. I don't remember attaching my marriage certificate with my CO-OP work permit application.

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
I did not change it on arrival however, I applied for a CO-OP work permit in November 2023 and I mentioned that I was married. I don't remember attaching my marriage certificate with my CO-OP work permit application.
My CO-OP work permit was approved by the way.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Order GCMS notes. You misrepresented yourself upon arrival as you needed to declare it. Have you been in a long term relationship before marriage, and spent a considerable amount of time together. If not, the reasons for refusal make sense. She needed to show ties to return and job stability. And if you haven’t been together for a long time then IRCC may wonder about the genuineness of the marriage.

Reactions: Fahad108

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
Order GCMS notes. You misrepresented yourself upon arrival as you needed to declare it. Have you been in a long term relationship before marriage, and spent a considerable amount of time together. If not, the reasons for refusal make sense. She needed to show ties to return and job stability. And if you haven’t been together for a long time then IRCC may wonder about the genuineness of the marriage.
I was not sure if I was supposed to declare it airport. But, we did not spend a lot of time together since it was an arranged marriage. We hardly spent 12 days together then I had return to Qatar to send my Passport the UAE IRCC office as it was requested just after a week of my wedding.

I have requested the GCMS notes. Probably will take 30 to 40 days.

In case, I have misrepresented the information, how do I correct that? As I was unaware of declaring my relationship.

Also, if that was the case then, why was my CO-OP work permit approved? I am a little confused. If this was the case then my CO-OP work permit should also be refused no?

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
Also, if I recall, when I came to Canada my wedding certificate was not ready by the Govt. of Pakistan. I don't know if I would have proved it at the airport on arrival

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also, if I recall, when I came to Canada my wedding certificate was not ready by the Govt. of Pakistan. I don't know if I would have proved it at the airport on arrival
Will depend on the date of marriage on certificate. You were married when you entered Canada so should have declared it then. You knew you were married. Co-op approval for you has nothing to do with your status. It declaring it for your spouse to be approved. You cannot correct misrepresentation. Get GCMS notes. Seems like your spouse didn’t show ties to return, and you have not spent any time together. Get GCMS notes and then reapply if you can address reasons for refusal.

Reactions: Fahad108