+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

security clearance in ottawa

ravik

Jul 30, 2008
hi,

i want to know what is security clearance,and is this compulsory to apply for a job in ottawa for both government and private companies,please help me reagrding this,because i don't have security clearance.

thanks
ravik

jaihanuman

Nov 27, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Doc's Request.
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
30-01-2013
Med's Request
06-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
22-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2013
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
Did you applied for a Security clearnace?
if so could you please tel me that process to obtain it.

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Security Clearance is something that you the applicant never applies for. It's the employer who does that. And No, not all jobs (government or private, regardless of city) require security clearance. Mostly Defense related jobs where you may have access to Secret or Top Secret files, a security clearance may be required. Similarly in the private sector, if it's a bank or an energy company such as Nuclear Power Plant may require some kind of security clearance (again not all jobs in these sectors require security clearance). In most cases, one of the main requirements for applicants to apply for such jobs is to be a Citizen of that country. Even if the citizenship requirement is not stated in the JD, your application will not be entertained if you are not a citizen.

Also, it takes up to six months to one year to get the security clearance. The clearance assessment starts after the candidate is hired (exception is that the candidate may already have some kind of security clearance before applying for the job) and if during the assessment something significant is found that can negatively affect applicant's eligibility to get security clearance, applicant will be notified about it and will be fired from the job right away (a contract is signed between employer and employee to cover such terminations before the employment begins). It costs companies a lot of money to get security clearance for candidates that's why they mostly prefer citizens for such jobs. It is also important from National Security perspective.

You can Google it and find more information about it. I have known many marines and people from defense over the years who used to share information about how they got security clearance, process involved, etc..