+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Salarial and entrepreneurial activity under EE Skilled Worker PR

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
I'm working on my paperwork for EE with plans to start a one-employee (me) micro business as soon as I enter Canadian soil while at the same time work as a software developer to support myself financially.

For context, I have a few software products, one of which cumulated +400k downloads, and at this point I'm considering the monetization of my work under a business name. Odds of success are good, but there's obviously the risk of failure as well, which is why I'd like to keep it safe and get a developer job on the side.

I'm posting this question before I go further in the process to assess the legal feasibility of my plans at an early stage and avoid surprises.

My questions:
1. Suppose I get granted entry to Canada under the EE SW program, what paperwork, if any, would be required before I can register a Canadian business? and how long could that take?
2. Does Canadian legislation allow the exercice of an entrepreneurial activity alongside a salarial activity provided I'd be holding an EE SW immigrant status?

Additional notes:
- My potential business would be managed 100% online, I intend to manage it during my off-work hours.
- I'm not worried about taxes/accounting at the moment, I can figure that out once in Canada, I just need legal feedback from an immigration perspective.