+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Russian citizen with US criminal record

blueskye

Sep 8, 2010
Hi! I was planning on applying for Canadian perminent residence, however I have this awful story which happened to me, which will surely affect my application, I just need to understand how much and if there is anything I can do about it.
My father works in the US as a journalist and I had lived with my parents in the US when I was little.
When I was 17 I moved back to Russia. When I was 21 (year 2001) I went to USA on a work and travel programm, during which I was living with 2 girls. Once we went shopping together and I found myself a pair of shoes. I called these girls over to advise if they thought I should get them. One of the girls took a shoe into her backpack and went out of the store. I was stuck with the other shoe! I left it in the store and went after her, but the store owner saw her and already called the police. Long story short - we were both arrested, spent 3 or 4 days in jail (can't remember exactly), had a court trial, where it was announced that we were both sentenced for stealing a shoe and time sentenced time served (we did not have a lawyer or anything). Needless to say, this is the only criminal occurance that I have.
Since then, I have recieved 3 US visa's and went to the US, but needed to submit all 10 fingerprints and tell the "shoe story" each time. During my last visit and "shoe story-telling experience" just this summer, the cop told me that my record shows "attempted burglary and resist of arrest", which was completely shocking to me. I don't have any documents from the jail, those I had - I gave to the US embassy for visa processing. Please advise If it is still possible for me to be approved for perminent residence and what I can do to help the situation?

Thanks!

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This will likely not affect you permanent resident application. For immigration purpose they mostly focus on the last 5 years criminal record. I'm sure you can explain something that happed nine years ago. You can order your fbi report and see what it exactly show regarding the offence. Good luck.

¬m2l