+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after exclusion order expires

MXPineapple

Mar 26, 2010
Hi all!

I've lurked on this forum for a while and appreciate all the great information that's being shared here.

I have noticed a lot of questions regarding removals and applying for an ARC, but our case is a little different.

My boyfriend was removed from Canada under a 1-yr exclusion order in 2004. We met and have been living together in Mexico since 2006. Since his exclusion, he hasn't made any attempt to return to Canada. We contacted the Canadian Embassy here in Mexico City to inquire repaying the removal fees, but they just directed us to the visa portion of their website. At this time, he isn't applying for a visa to visit Canada, he just wants to pay what he owes. We've found that the removal costs are $1500, but can't determine to whom or where we can pay it. It appears that he'll have to apply for a visitor's visa (we have no plans to visit Canada any time soon) and then pay it through that process.

Anyway, it's all very confusing and I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience returning to Canada after their exclusion order had expired and did they have to repay the removal costs.

Thanks for any advice you can give, it's truly appreciated. Take care!

MXPineapple

Mar 26, 2010
Okay, just heard back from the Embassy in Mexico City. One cannot just repay removal fees. It has to be done within the context of some process (PR application, visa application, etc.) So he will have to apply for a visa (whether he wants one or not), pay that application fee and then the visa office will let him know if he has to pay the removal fees or not.

RE: original question..

Anyone return to Canada after their exclusion order has expired? What was your experience crossing the border?

Thanks!