+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoring status for Post Grad Work Permit

ffglt

Aug 4, 2021
I want to apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) while I wait for my PR application to be processes, however, my work permit (Post Grad Open Work Permit) expired before I could do my PR application. Can I restore my status as Post Grad Open Work Permit, or as an Open Work Permit or do I need to have an employer sponsor my work permit to get it restored?

These are the requirements to be eligible for BOWP:

Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I want to apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) while I wait for my PR application to be processes, however, my work permit (Post Grad Open Work Permit) expired before I could do my PR application. Can I restore my status as Post Grad Open Work Permit, or as an Open Work Permit or do I need to have an employer sponsor my work permit to get it restored?

These are the requirements to be eligible for BOWP:

Thank you in advance!
You have to be holding a valid work permit at the time you apply for the BOWP.

You cannot restore to a PGWP or open work permit.

At this point if you want to change your status back to work permit, you need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada, along with an approved LMIA from the employer. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

In the meantime, very strongly recommend you restore your status back to visitor if you haven't done that already so that you keep your status in Canada legal.

ffglt

Aug 4, 2021
You have to be holding a valid work permit at the time you apply for the BOWP.

You cannot restore to a PGWP or open work permit.

At this point if you want to change your status back to work permit, you need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada, along with an approved LMIA from the employer. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

In the meantime, very strongly recommend you restore your status back to visitor if you haven't done that already so that you keep your status in Canada legal.
Hi thank you for your reply! I am confused though because it says on the requirements that you must either have a valid work permit OR be eligible to restore status and get a work permit? Could you please send me the source where it says I cannot restore an open or post grad work permit? I would like to get more information on that. Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi thank you for your reply! I am confused though because it says on the requirements that you must either have a valid work permit OR be eligible to restore status and get a work permit? Could you please send me the source where it says I cannot restore an open or post grad work permit? I would like to get more information on that. Thank you!!
I don't know how I prove that do you. Logically you can't just restore to an OWP or PGWP because you want to.

On what basis do you think you are eligible to restore your status to an PGWP or OWP? Which criteria are you basing that off of?

Do you have a spouse who is in Canada on a study permit or work permit in a skilled job? Did you not receive the full duration of your PGWP due to passport expiry? Or is there other criteria you think you meet for restoration to an OWP?

ffglt

Aug 4, 2021
Okay I understand what you mean, no I don't have any of those. I thought you could extend or restore status as a worker to get the BOWP since I do have a job offer but the employer is not willing to sponsor me but said they would hire me on an open work permit.

I went through the BC PNP nomination process and received a Work Permit Support Letter which I thought I could use to restore my status and apply for a new work permit but it seems that the employer would still have to sponsor me in that case, while I thought I could receive an open work permit.