+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration + PGWP

SoleOrchid

Aug 10, 2024
Hey everyone,

I need some advice about my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) application. I had my last exams in April 2024, and I received my graduation letter in May and applied for the PGWP by the end of May. The problem is, my study permit had expired in April and I was under the impression I would get my grad letter much sooner then I did.

After doing some research and communicating with my university’s international center, I made sure to apply correctly. I applied for restoration and the PGWP together, I followed all the guidelines from the government website and submitted my application within the 90-day window after my study permit expired, paid the necessary extra fees to restore my status as a student, and included all the required documents as well as the receipt.

It’s now August, and I haven’t received any updates since the confirmation of my submission, while many of my peers who applied around the same time have already gotten their approvals. The details online have not changed at all since the start and almost all of them say "we do not need" or "in progress". When I tried calling IRCC, I couldn’t get through to an agent because they were too busy. While checking my application status on the same call, I noticed it said “temporary resident worker application.” Isn’t it supposed to be a PGWP application? Does anyone know if this is normal. Since my permit has expired, I am worried if I am allowed to stay or if I should go back. Also, I found out that the website said "Your study permit must be valid (not expired) at the time you submit your application to be eligible to work in Canada while awaiting a decision on your PGWP application." Is this why it’s taking so long compared to my friends who got early approval to work? Is there anything that I should do?

Any advice or similar experiences would be really helpful. Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone,

I need some advice about my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) application. I had my last exams in April 2024, and I received my graduation letter in May and applied for the PGWP by the end of May. The problem is, my study permit had expired in April and I was under the impression I would get my grad letter much sooner then I did.

After doing some research and communicating with my university’s international center, I made sure to apply correctly. I applied for restoration and the PGWP together, I followed all the guidelines from the government website and submitted my application within the 90-day window after my study permit expired, paid the necessary extra fees to restore my status as a student, and included all the required documents as well as the receipt.

It’s now August, and I haven’t received any updates since the confirmation of my submission, while many of my peers who applied around the same time have already gotten their approvals. The details online have not changed at all since the start and almost all of them say "we do not need" or "in progress". When I tried calling IRCC, I couldn’t get through to an agent because they were too busy. While checking my application status on the same call, I noticed it said “temporary resident worker application.” Isn’t it supposed to be a PGWP application? Does anyone know if this is normal. Since my permit has expired, I am worried if I am allowed to stay or if I should go back. Also, I found out that the website said "Your study permit must be valid (not expired) at the time you submit your application to be eligible to work in Canada while awaiting a decision on your PGWP application." Is this why it’s taking so long compared to my friends who got early approval to work? Is there anything that I should do?

Any advice or similar experiences would be really helpful. Thanks.
It is taking longer because your friends didn’t let their permits expire. You cannot do anything. Assume you stopped working as soon as your study permit expired.

adithya2001

Aug 20, 2024
Hello, I am also facing the same issue I have applied for my study permit extension and for my PGWP together but unfortunately my study permits also expired and so far, I have not heard anything from the IRCC.I think it is because we have applied for the two applications at the same time that is why it takes too long. But you are safe as you have applied within the 90 days window time.

SoleOrchid

Aug 10, 2024
Hello, I am also facing the same issue I have applied for my study permit extension and for my PGWP together but unfortunately my study permits also expired and so far, I have not heard anything from the IRCC.I think it is because we have applied for the two applications at the same time that is why it takes too long. But you are safe as you have applied within the 90 days window time.
When did you apply and how long have you been waiting?

adithya2001

Aug 20, 2024
Hello, I had applied for restoration on June 10th, but my college gave out my transcript and completion letter late my study permit expired in March 31 it has been like 2 months and I am still waiting for a response. I had started the process in like may but applied for restoration date due to the transcript issue.