+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resignation from job and bridging open work permit

qdil

Nov 23, 2011
I am planning to apply for CEC in the 1st week of March. I have just received a renewed work permit for 2 years i.e valid until end of 2014. I am aware that we can apply for bridging work permit if the following criteria are satisfied:

• AOR received from CIC
  • 4 months or less left for work permit to expire

My question is that since my work permit expiry date is far away, is there any option I have to apply for the bridging work permit ? Could resignation from my current job (to which my work permit is bound) be treated as the expiry of current work permit ?

Unless there is some way I can apply for the bridging work permit, it almost defeats the purpose for which it was created i.e to avoid going through the hassles of leaving the country and coming back later, which could potentially happen in case my company sends me back to base location before I get my PR.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=qdil link=topic=133783.msg2053748#msg2053748 date=1360118907]
I am planning to apply for CEC in the 1st week of March. I have just received a renewed work permit for 2 years i.e valid until end of 2014. I am aware that we can apply for bridging work permit if the following criteria are satisfied:

• AOR received from CIC

My question is that since my work permit expiry date is far away, is there any option I have to apply for the bridging work permit ? Could resignation from my current job (to which my work permit is bound) be treated as the expiry of current work permit ?

Unless there is some way I can apply for the bridging work permit, it almost defeats the purpose for which it was created i.e to avoid going through the hassles of leaving the country and coming back later, which could potentially happen in case my company sends me back to base location before I get my PR.
[/quote]

1. Nice try, no cigar though. You have a valid work permit for more than 4 months, whether you continue to work it is your choice.
2. The reason it was created was so persons working, who have applied for PR/CEC means that their employer doesn't have to advertise the position on the job bank, obtain a new LMO and only then can the person apply for a new work permit.

Skylark4u

Jan 11, 2013
Hi Adil,

Is that your employer sending you back soon ?
If yes and you dont want to leave then you can change the status as visitor and continue staying but cannot work.

qdil said:

• AOR received from CIC

vNew

Feb 2, 2014
I have a similar situation. My current employer plans to send me back but I intend to stay in Canada and continue working. The following criteria are satisfied:

• AOR received from CIC on PR application
    But current work permit (employer-bound) valid for more than 4 months
What should I do to be eligible to continue working here? Can I apply for bridging open work permit & look for job with another employer in Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vNew said:
I have a similar situation. My current employer plans to send me back but I intend to stay in Canada and continue working. The following criteria are satisfied:

• AOR received from CIC on PR application
    But current work permit (employer-bound) valid for more than 4 months
What should I do to be eligible to continue working here? Can I apply for bridging open work permit & look for job with another employer in Canada?
1. You are not eligible for a BOWP as your present WP is valid for more than 4 months.
2. You can look for another job, but you will need a LMO and a new work permit before you can start work.