+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for information

sarah10

Nov 5, 2018
Hi everyone. I am a single mom and my son of 6 years is a Canadian. He is living with me in my country outside Canada. The dad is married and he lives in Canada. Is there a way I can go to Canada under the 'family reunification'? The father accepts to support me any way possible. We were trying the study permit but since I am 40 years I doubt I will get the student visa. Any suggestion please? I feel my son is missing a lot. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone. I am a single mom and my son of 6 years is a Canadian. He is living with me in my country outside Canada. The dad is married and he lives in Canada. Is there a way I can go to Canada under the 'family reunification'? The father accepts to support me any way possible. We were trying the study permit but since I am 40 years I doubt I will get the student visa. Any suggestion please? I feel my son is missing a lot. Thank you.
Not unless you immigrate through Express Entry or a PNP program or are approved for a study permit. Note a study permit doesn’t let you live permanently in Canada. You still need to get PR through an immigration program.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The father cannot bring you under family reunification since you are not in a relationship.

Once your son is an adult and living and working in Canada, he may be able to sponsor you for PR under family reunification. However this obviously won't be an option for a number of years.

Your only options right now are to qualify independently through an economic immigration stream or get a work permit or study permit independently.

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Hi, If you are applying for grade studies (masters or PhD) you can get approved and your x can provide you a letter to sport you financially (not sponsoring you), there is no age limit in any level btw, but I said grad studies it just make more sense to me, after completing the study you get work permit then PR (long procedure).

sarah10

Nov 5, 2018
Hello everyone. Thank you for you advices. Have a child together is not enough to show we have a relationship? He sends money monthly and wee sharee an account together as well. Yes I have applied for diploma and already got acceptance. 2 immigration consultants already told me there is a high chance I don't get the study visa. I am confused.

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sorry but you have no relationship with him other than he is your x. Am I missing something here ? He is married with another woman right? If I understood you correctly no legal relationship between you and him.

By diploma do you mean less than bachelor or masters? Then yes it's really low chance to get it approved

This is based on my understanding and I am no expert.
I hope that helps.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes he is married and we share a child. Yes diploma. Ok thank you.
You need to immigrate on your own merits or get a study permit to study in Canada. As said, studying in Canada doesn’t guarantee that you will stay and get PR. For a study permit, you need to show funds to justify costs, education and career advancement, and ties to home country. You still need to be eligible for PR programs even after studying and working in Canada. Having a Canadian child will weaken your profile because you cannot prove ties to home country. IRCC will know you are coming to live.

Having a Canadian child with the father in Canada has no benefits to you until child is an adult and can sponsor you. Child would have to meet a set income for a few years and then you would have to selected in a lottery. This is many years away.

sarah10

Nov 5, 2018
A visitors visa which can be converted into a wp ( I know its very difficult)? Any program for bilingual foreigners please.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A visitors visa which can be converted into a wp ( I know its very difficult)? Any program for bilingual foreigners please.
To qualify for a work permit, you need a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada.

You cannot "convert" a TRV into a work permit. If you qualify for a work permit, then you apply for one separately.

You get extra points for knowing French when immigrating if you take the languae test.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. Thank you for you advices. Have a child together is not enough to show we have a relationship? He sends money monthly and wee sharee an account together as well. Yes I have applied for diploma and already got acceptance. 2 immigration consultants already told me there is a high chance I don't get the study visa. I am confused.
A relationship would mean you are either married or common law with your ex.

Your ex is married to someone else. So you are definitely not in a relationship with him.

He cannot sponsor you.

Reactions: sarah10

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If bilingual then look at Express Entry? For a province, Ontario French Speaking program. You will need IELTS, TCF and ECA for your education to submit a profile.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontarios-express-entry-french-speaking-skilled-worker-stream