+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Report in person to pick up PR card--how to prove "residential history"

hana90

Jan 17, 2014
All four family members (2 adults, 2 kids) applied for renewal at the same time. We each had 745-760 days in Canada. My spouse got her card; the kids and I got "report in person" letters that say: "You will be expected to substantiate your residence in Canada by providing evidence of residential history for the past five years." Then it lists passports, COPR, drivers license, income tax assessment, other relevant documentation e.g. school records employment records, and/or residential records.

My son had already received a letter requesting travel records from the US, so I sent for those for all of us, but, given the 6-month backlog, they won't be here until summer.

I'm very nervous. We absolutely have the time in, as our entry/exit records from Canada and the US will show, but we won't have those in time. We just moved here full-time 18 months before the renewal; before that we were back and forth regularly between the US and Canada, and our primary residence then was in the US. I work online for a US university, so I don't have employment records here, and the kids homeschool (I have one school official letter confirming this for last year). I have my drivers license and tax assessment, and the kids have their provincial id cards, but really, we have nothing else. I can prove I have owned houses in Canada, and but I have almost nothing showing financial interactions, as my spouse does most of that.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
hana90 said:
All four family members (2 adults, 2 kids) applied for renewal at the same time. We each had 745-760 days in Canada. My spouse got her card; the kids and I got "report in person" letters that say: "You will be expected to substantiate your residence in Canada by providing evidence of residential history for the past five years." Then it lists passports, COPR, drivers license, income tax assessment, other relevant documentation e.g. school records employment records, and/or residential records.

My son had already received a letter requesting travel records from the US, so I sent for those for all of us, but, given the 6-month backlog, they won't be here until summer.

I'm very nervous. We absolutely have the time in, as our entry/exit records from Canada and the US will show, but we won't have those in time. We just moved here full-time 18 months before the renewal; before that we were back and forth regularly between the US and Canada, and our primary residence then was in Canada. I work online for a US university, so I don't have employment records here, and the kids homeschool (I have one school official letter confirming this for last year). I have my drivers license and tax assessment, and the kids have their provincial id cards, but really, we have nothing else. I can prove I have owned houses in Canada, and but I have almost nothing showing financial interactions, as my spouse does most of that.

Any ideas are appreciated.
doctors checkups, dentists any extra curricular activities that require you be present to complete....

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
I think you would be good if can produce Health record specially for the period of your back and forth travel. You can request University in US to provide you a letter stating that you are working with them online and I am sure they will give you something. I received the same when I was developing a course for a Technical institute.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You say that you all have "745-760 days in Canada". How exactly are you calculating this range of values?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did you travel back and forth - plane, private vehicle? Did you travel back and forth at all times with your spouse? Medical records seem to be your best (only) saving grace unless you have boarding passes for all trips if they were by flight but then you would likely have pre-clearance CBP stamps. This one raises the question whether CIC will deny if not satisfied and leave as is or will they pursue a report. Others in your situation have withdrawn their application and applied at a later stage when they had better evidence of their physical presence.

sammy_2401

Star Member
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks to Msafiri for his reply on this subject and thanks to hana90 for sharing his information on this forum. I have one question to Msafiri, is it possible to withdraw the PR renewal applicaiton, especially when they have issued a letter inviting to attend an interview? I am in a similiar situation, but not exactly the same. I have not received any response yet. Can I withdraw now and resubmit later when I am in a better position for residencey requirements. Kindly reply. Appreciate your response. With regards.

hana90

Jan 17, 2014
Thank you all for your replies.

We have had all medical/dental appointments in the US. We have US health insurance, and we live in a border town with limited resources (we would have to drive further in Canada to get medical care than if we cross the border). The kids have participated in some activities--swim lessons, Girl Guides, summer camp, but other than the receipt for payment, I don't have proof they attended. We volunteer at the animal shelter, but, again, I don't have proof. I could request a letter from the director, but we haven't kept track of specific dates, and that would only cover 20-30 days.

I have no problem proving my online employment, as I have my original contract.

The 745-760 days range is because we don't all have the same number of days in the country. I have 760, my son has 756, my spouse has 753, and my daughter has 745.

Except for once when I flew to a conference, we always travel in our own car. We are not always altogether, but we are about 90% of the time.

A couple questions about withdrawing our application (which seems silly since my spouse was approved, and she had a few less days than the rest of us). I would need to withdraw the application before the interview, right? How would I later prove anything different than I can prove now, other than gathering my entrance/exit records? I just don't do things on a daily basis that document me (and the children) being here. Even our phone bill--it shows calls we make, but I can't prove which ones were made by me. We cross the border about twice a week. How would it go at the border if it were several more months before we re-applied?

If they seem disinclined to approve at the interview, do you think I can ask them to wait until I have my entry/exit records? I know they can only keep the card for 180 days, but maybe that would work.

Good luck with your situation, sammy_2401.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The burden of proof is always on the applicant so if CIC don't get what they want or what they get doesn't prove your residence then they just deny your applications. In your case it could be worse as they may decide to report you and issue departure orders. You have no paper trail of physical presence in Canada which is most unusual in the normal course of events but highly suspicious to CIC so its a tough call. Was there anything in your spouses situation that was different? Did she work in Canada?

You may have to drop the application and re-apply when you have your border crossing info from CBP. Your spouse getting approval is an insurance policy she can re-sponsor if any issues arise.

hana90

Jan 17, 2014
Update: Report in person to pick up PR card--how to prove "residential history"

Just an update, with timeline:

We went in today to pick up our PR cards--we were in the office for about 10 minutes. He checked our passports and took our old pr cards. He asked if we could explain the high number of absences, and whether I was employed in Canada. He was satisfied with my responses, and gave us our new cards.

So our timeline: We sent in application on Nov. 4. It was received on Nov. 7. On Feb. 4, my spouse got her card. On Feb. 5, we received the letter to pick ours up. (Online, the updates looked identical for all our us.) On Feb. 24, we picked them up. Thus, 93 days for my spouse, 112 days for the rest of us.