+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting a mailbox with Canada Post - will it work for returned citizenship application?

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
I submitted my application a few months ago, no AOR yet, and now due to some circumstances, I will be moving out and going away for a few months. I am worried that CIC might return my application to my old address (which I would have no access to), and I know their mail is not being forwarded, so I can't set up a mail forwarding option. Assuming that applications returned through Canada Post (because on the CIC website, it says "Canada Post’s Mail Forwarding Service does not forward parcels and a citizenship application package is considered a parcel. If we need to return your application package to you because it is incomplete, the package will be returned to us"), I thought of renting a mailbox at Canada Post office in the location of my old address.

Then whatever mail is received on my name (including my returned application) would be held in the post office including the citizenship application package.
Do you think it's a good idea?

enghope

Dec 19, 2014
I submitted my application a few months ago, no AOR yet, and now due to some circumstances, I will be moving out and going away for a few months. I am worried that CIC might return my application to my old address (which I would have no access to), and I know their mail is not being forwarded, so I can't set up a mail forwarding option. Assuming that applications returned through Canada Post (because on the CIC website, it says "Canada Post’s Mail Forwarding Service does not forward parcels and a citizenship application package is considered a parcel. If we need to return your application package to you because it is incomplete, the package will be returned to us"), I thought of renting a mailbox at Canada Post office in the location of my old address.

Then whatever mail is received on my name (including my returned application) would be held in the post office including the citizenship application package.
Do you think it's a good idea?
I had same issue but when I called Canada post they said they leave the package from citizen ship in old address mail box so better call Canada post and ask

Reactions: Rie11

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Best to give a friend or relative's address and keep in touch with them....

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
Best to give a friend or relative's address and keep in touch with them....
I thought about it but the problem is I don't have AOR yet, so I can't change my address with CIC. If they are to return my application, it will go to my old address anyway. That's why I came up with the idea of Canada Post rental mail box. If CIC send my application through Canada Post, then at least my application will be at the post office rather than at my old address (from where I'll be unable to get it).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought about it but the problem is I don't have AOR yet, so I can't change my address with CIC. If they are to return my application, it will go to my old address anyway. That's why I came up with the idea of Canada Post rental mail box. If CIC send my application through Canada Post, then at least my application will be at the post office rather than at my old address (from where I'll be unable to get it).
Pay for mail forwarding.

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
Pay for mail forwarding.
If my application is returned, it is considered as a parcel = no mail forwarding would work. The quote from CIC's website: "Canada Post’s Mail Forwarding Service does NOT forward parcels and a citizenship application package is considered a parcel. If we need to return your application package to you because it is incomplete, the package will be returned to us".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If my application is returned, it is considered as a parcel = no mail forwarding would work. The quote from CIC's website: "Canada Post’s Mail Forwarding Service does NOT forward parcels and a citizenship application package is considered a parcel. If we need to return your application package to you because it is incomplete, the package will be returned to us".
Ok good to know.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
this is how things get stupid that you can only change address after AOR lol... and AOR now takes forever

Reactions: Rie11