+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed Passport, Study permit Validity

jbruzzon

Sep 2, 2014
Hi, I renewed my passport and I'm concerned about the validity of the study permit which was issued with my previous passport.
This is my 2nd year as an international student in Canada, my study permit
is valid until Dec 2015 and was issued with my previous passport (which expires in 2015)

Last week I renewed my Italian passport and I need to travel to the US in 14 days.
I'd like to know if I need to renew my study permit with this new passport in order to be able to travel and enter back to Canada.
I'm running out of time so I hope I could travel with both passports and the study permit without problems.
Thank you in advance,
Best.
Sebastian

jbruzzon

Sep 2, 2014
Let me reply to myself.
Well, if you have a valid study permit in your old passport (in my case until Dec 2015), yes, you can safely stay/enter/exit Canada.
How can I know this? After applying for an extension of the study permit, (plus the 150CAD) I was able to call CIC.ca, because if you don't have an application
in progress you can't talk with someone in there (due to this self service menu), and then I was told that the study permit was fine, and that
I should have both passports with me. Perhaps they will decline my application since I'm trying to renew my study permit so early.

I hope this help future visitors.
Sebastian

Reactions: arielsp