+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remotely working in Canada on PGWP while travelling abroad - does that count towards 1560?

Ahmisht

Star Member
Aug 14, 2021
I just realized that a significant portion of my 1560 hours of Canadian Work Experience for CEC (about 400 hours) was gained while I was travelling (I went back to my home country for 5 months). My work (Research Assistant at a Canadian University) was done remotely and my supervisors had no problem with me working from my home country. Is this going to be a problem? I was on PGWP and I started the job while present in Canda.

Will IRCC not count those hours towards my total? I feel like it shouldn't be an issue, since I had a valid PGWP and my supervisors were aware that I was travelling. Should I get them to mention it in my reference letter? Or should I just ignore it?

In total, I have accumulated 2060 hours, or 68 FTE weeks. I'd still have enough hours (assuming IRCC calculate it the way I did) to meet 1560 without those 400, but that would just increase my work tremendously - explaining all this stuff.

Last edited: