+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

regarding working visa

Nicola1985

Dec 6, 2007
Hi there,

I am writing from England. I have got a working holiday visa for End of march for when i go canada. Its for maximimum of 12 months. I have a few questions. If i was to get a temporary job that went onto permanent, what happends next? i know i will have to exit north america when my visa expires, but i would need to apply for a working visa, i will be working so hopefully it would be fast tracked, but i have heard the application process can take long time.. i guess it depends whos employed you and whether they would be willing to go through lawyers etc for me.

can i apply for a working visa whilst i have a current working visa?
can i apply for a visa in canada? or do i have to go out of north america and got say seattle for instance or do i have to go back to england.

also i realise when you apply for visas that you have to send police checks, and so thats another thing can that be done in canada.

sorry to ask so many confusing questions. the more info i get the better.

Thank you

Nicola

willycheng

Oct 1, 2007
Hi,

To answer some of your questions:

1. While you have a current working visa, you cannot apply for another working visa. However, you can apply to extend, or change condition on your current one.
2. You cannot apply for a new visa in Canada. Immigration office in Canada only handles visa extension or condition change, but not a new visa application.
3. Police checks could be done while you are in Canada, depending on which countries are required.

I hope it helps.

Willy (Ka Shun) Cheng,
Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant
ChengCosgrove Immigration Services
willy@chengcosgrove.com
http://www.chengcosgrove.com

Jan 28, 2008
I am permanent resident here in Japan and planning to apply as an immigrant to Canada because my friend told me that Canada pays far better than here in Japan. Can anyone explain to me the types of job and its corresponding salary. I have no idea if what my friend told me is true.Right now I am working in a seatbelt company.I am the line leader and interpreter.My working hours is from Mon. to Fri. 8:30 am to 8:30 pm and Sat. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and I am receiving 380,000yen equivalent to 3500 Canadian dollars a month.Is this salary is so little compared there in Canada. Can anyone answer me because I am desperate.Am planning to apply.Is it wise?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

10231277 said:
I am permanent resident here in Japan and planning to apply as an immigrant to Canada because my friend told me that Canada pays far better than here in Japan. Can anyone explain to me the types of job and its corresponding salary. I have no idea if what my friend told me is true.Right now I am working in a seatbelt company.I am the line leader and interpreter.My working hours is from Mon. to Fri. 8:30 am to 8:30 pm and Sat. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and I am receiving 380,000yen equivalent to 3500 Canadian dollars a month.Is this salary is so little compared there in Canada. Can anyone answer me because I am desperate.Am planning to apply.Is it wise?
1. From the description of your job, it would not appear to a skilled trade in level A, B, or O of the NOC. http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/welcome.shtml
2. Take the assessment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp to see if you qualify.
3. The only equivalent job would be in an automotive parts factory, the hourly salary you are receiving is about $12/HR so not knowing what your trade is, it is anybodies guess.
4. I thought slavery was over, no one works 68 hours a week.

PMM

Yojimbo

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
10231277 said:
Surely it depends on what kind of job you're talking about. PMM is right with the $12/h average for that industry, but check different job sites (www.monster.ca, www.jobbank.gc.ca, for example) to get an idea of the hourly rate for your profession.

But I think on one hand (usually) Canada pays better hourly rates than Japan. On the other, you probably won't get as much hours in and taxes are a bit higher, so in the end you'll be making less money... but actually working to have a life, and not living to go to work.

Many Japanese can't get around the idea of not having to devote your life to your company.

Ah... of course, have in mind that if you're considering to apply for PR as a skilled worker from Japan you'll be applying through Manila... It might takes a few days for you to get your visa, check the waiting times here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/01-all.asp