+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reg. Changing university at port of entry

rsy882

Aug 6, 2012
Hi All,

I am a prospective Fall 2012 grad level (masters) student from India. I have got admitted to UBC and I have received the Temporary Resident Visa along with Letter of Introduction for the same. However, recently (20 days back) I got admitted to University of Waterloo and I wish to attend the same instead of UBC. Can I show University of Waterloo admission letter at Toronto and get the study permit? or do I need to go to Vancouver, get the study permit for UBC and then come to waterloo (because we can do post-secondary study at any university on the same permit)? any one with similar experience on changing university for Masters?

FM001

Star Member
Jun 3, 2012
I think you can totally do that. Do not forget to carry your admission letter of University of water loo and every thing would be fine.

FM001

Star Member
Jun 3, 2012
"If you are a post-secondary student with a valid study permit, you do not need to submit an application if you want to change your program of study or the institution where you are studying."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving.asp

rsy882

Aug 6, 2012
Thanks. Well as of now I don't have a study permit at all. I only have a TRV and Letter of Introduction. So that point is now not valid for me. So, can I land at Toronto directly and go for the study permit with Waterloo even though I got TRV and Letter of Introduction when I applied through UBC? Wont this create a problem?

rsy882

Aug 6, 2012
Hi,

Anybody has experienced this before? Changing university at port of entry? I wonder if providing the UWaterloo admission letter instead of UBC's to the immigration officer/border agent raise any eyebrows?

jas123

Sep 3, 2012
Hi .. Similar situation with me..

So what did you finally do !! and how did it all pull through !?