+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused Temporary Resident Permit and Work Permit inside Canada

lovelovelove

Aug 29, 2015
I submitted two applications together for an extension for my Temporary Resident Permit and Work Permit on February 23, 2015 via Canada Post Express. My status for both was expiring on February 26, 2015. Unfortunately CIC did not receive these until March 3,2015. I was told when I called the call centre that my applications were sent into a restoration unit at the beginning of April 2015 because it was past the expiry date. I asked if that meant I needed to pay the extra $200 since I did not do that because I was unaware it was going to go there, thought the office would receive it before the expiry date. I was told to wait until I received a letter asking for the money because sometimes officers will grant the permits without the fee. On July 14, 2015, I received an email from immigration stating the correct fee for my work permit was $200 and therefore an overpayment of $200 will be issued to me. That same day, I received a letter in the mail,dated July 7,2015, saying both my temporary resident permit and work permit application has been refused 'pursuant to subsection 24(1) of the immigration and refuggeee protection act, will not be extended. Consuqnely, you must leave canada immediately. if youdo not leave canada voluntarily,enforcement may be taken against you. Since your application for Temporary Resident Permit has been refused, you are no longer eligible for a work permit or study permit". Also, underneath it says "note: passports must be valid for the duration of your stay in Canada. Documents will not be issued beyond the validity of passports".

After receiving that letter and crying my eyes out, I called immigration where I was told the reason the applications were refused was because the fee for restoration was not paid.

What do I do now? I have been living in Canada for 10 years and going back home is not an option as I would literally be living on the streets. Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your application needed to reach CIC on or before February 26th. Since it didn't, you needed to apply to restore your status as well as apply to extend your TRP and work permit in Canada. It's now far too late to restore your status (you had to do this within 90 days of your status expiring on February 26th). This means it is now impossible to restore your status within Canada and the only choice you now have is to leave. It was unfortunately a very big mistake on your part that CIC did not receive your extension application on or before February 26th.

lovelovelove

Aug 29, 2015
When I sent in my application, immigration decided to send the application into a restoration unit therefore it did go there. That is when they refused it,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're still out of luck. Your restoration was refused so it's now too late to fix your status from within Canada. At this point your two options are to remain in Canada illegally (until CBSA catches up with you) or to leave Canada.