+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee with passport

netsirk325

Feb 2, 2014
Hi. I was a legacy refugee claimant in Toronto. I was unlawfully detained by my country's government for political reasons. My case was backlogged for 5 years, and last month, I finally had my hearing and am now a protected person. While I was waiting 5 years for my case to be heard, I renewed my passport in my country of origin.

Now, I'm applying for a refugee travel document and permanent residence. The form asks "After coming to Canada, have you requested or renewed your passport from your country of origin?"

If we disclose that I have a passport from my country of origin, will this cause problems for me?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Don’t lie.....that’s misrepresentation.

It may cause issues having applied for a new passport, but there have been several cases where just applying has not been proved as significant evidence of reavailment. A bigger issue is if you use the passport to travel (anywhere) or use it to return to your country of origin. Avoid those at all costs.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Hi. I was a legacy refugee claimant in Toronto. I was unlawfully detained by my country's government for political reasons. My case was backlogged for 5 years, and last month, I finally had my hearing and am now a protected person. While I was waiting 5 years for my case to be heard, I renewed my passport in my country of origin.

Now, I'm applying for a refugee travel document and permanent residence. The form asks "After coming to Canada, have you requested or renewed your passport from your country of origin?"

If we disclose that I have a passport from my country of origin, will this cause problems for me?
You should give them a call. Call directly to the person in charge of issuing RTD, there is a thread in this forum talking about that.

I would think that they will want you to surrender your renewed passport before they give you the RTD.