+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim withdrawal

shumailaazeem3

Apr 28, 2021
I took asylum in October 2020 and now it's been 6 months i have not received the hearing date. I heard that these days asylum cases take 27 months to pass. My husband is in his home country. I wanted to withdraw asylum. I didn't know that it takes too long. Please guide about withdrawal procedure..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I took asylum in October 2020 and now it's been 6 months i have not received the hearing date. I heard that these days asylum cases take 27 months to pass. My husband is in his home country. I wanted to withdraw asylum. I didn't know that it takes too long. Please guide about withdrawal procedure..
Book a ticket and arrange with CBSA to get your passport at the airport if they have your passport. Send in a webform indicating your have left Canada and you are withdrawing your asylum claim.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
So it was bogus refugee claim?? Withdrawing because it took longer than expected...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What are the consequences of withdrawal?
You will likely have difficulty coming to Canada on a temporary basis for numerous years for fear that you will claim asylum again or overstay your stay unless you have extremely strong proof that you will not remain in Canada. You may have difficulty entering some other countries on a temporary basis especially those that share immigration immigration with Canada. Would be speaking to your lawyer about how strong your case is. If your case isn't very strong and there are high likelihoods you may be denied and will have to undertake things like appeals, H&C applications, etc. which will add years to your separation time with no guarantees. If your life is actually at risk I would hope you would prioritize the chance of a safe life versus returning to your home country even if it means years of separation.

shumailaazeem3

Apr 28, 2021
You will likely have difficulty coming to Canada on a temporary basis for numerous years for fear that you will claim asylum again or overstay your stay unless you have extremely strong proof that you will not remain in Canada. You may have difficulty entering some other countries on a temporary basis especially those that share immigration immigration with Canada. Would be speaking to your lawyer about how strong your case is. If your case isn't very strong and there are high likelihoods you may be denied and will have to undertake things like appeals, H&C applications, etc. which will add years to your separation time with no guarantees. If your life is actually at risk I would hope you would prioritize the chance of a safe life versus returning to your home country even if it means years of separation.
Usually in how much time refugee claim pass? I think covid takes longer than usual

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Usually in how much time refugee claim pass? I think covid takes longer than usual
Partially depends on where you are from, the reasons you are seeking asylum, whether you moved too seek safety within your home country. It doesn't sound like you have been selected as a less complex case so 1-3 years to hear your claim. IF you get accepted at that hearing and don't need to appeal then you have around 1.5 years to get PR and then 3-6 months before your spouse would get PR and could join you in Canada. It is a long and difficult process.

Reactions: nirjhoroliver

shumailaazeem3

Apr 28, 2021
Partially depends on where you are from, the reasons you are seeking asylum, whether you moved too seek safety within your home country. It doesn't sound like you have been selected as a less complex case so 1-3 years to hear your claim. IF you get accepted at that hearing and don't need to appeal then you have around 1.5 years to get PR and then 3-6 months before your spouse would get PR and could join you in Canada. It is a long and difficult process.
how do i know if my case is less complex or not?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
how do i know if my case is less complex or not?
Have you done your eligibility? If so you usually hear a few months after that if your case is considered less complex. What country are you from? Less complex cases tend to be from countries that have very high approval rates like Yemen, Syria, Eritrea, etc. or in cases where there is well known examples of persecution for example LGBTQ+ people in Saudi Arabia.

shumailaazeem3

Apr 28, 2021
Have you done your eligibility? If so you usually hear a few months after that if your case is considered less complex. What country are you from? Less complex cases tend to be from countries that have very high approval rates like Yemen, Syria, Eritrea, etc. or in cases where there is well known examples of persecution for example LGBTQ+ people in Saudi Arabia.
No, i have not done any eligibility criteria. I'm from Pakistan

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
What is the procedure for eligibility?
they will contact you or your counsel for eligibility interview and for passport submission and medical if you applied in October so I am sure you haven't submitted your passport? is your medical done? eligibility can take 2 3 months more and then after you will need to wait for a year and a half more to get a hearing. Good luck

shumailaazeem3

Apr 28, 2021
they will contact you or your counsel for eligibility interview and for passport submission and medical if you applied in October so I am sure you haven't submitted your passport? is your medical done? eligibility can take 2 3 months more and then after you will need to wait for a year and a half more to get a hearing. Good luck
They took my passport at the border where i get asylum. No medical and eligibility done yet

Reactions: nirjhoroliver