+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reference Letters

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Hi,
I've read across the current posts that at some point during an FSW application, reference letters will be required from all previous employers listed on profile. How might that work if I was self employed for three years? Would I need to get reference letters from past clients?

Thanks.

Cubiscus

Jan 28, 2015
Also on a similar line has anyone else had a scenario where a previous employer can only send you their standard template reference, which does not contain duties or pay?

Mackfernan11

Jan 24, 2015
I'm having difficulties as well getting reference letter from the company that I'm working with. They said that they're not giving one but instead just a letter of my work tenure from them. :(

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
Have you guys tried writing the letter yourselves and approaching your employers to jut sign off on it? Sometimes they just don't want to waste time writing the letter but if all they have to do is read and sign it if they agree, they will more likely do it.

Cubiscus

Jan 28, 2015
Yes, that's worked for most but a couple still refuse. Sure we'll find a solution but it is very frustrating.

I also have a company that went under, so the chance of a reference from there is zero.

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
Cubiscus said:
I also have a company that went under, so the chance of a reference from there is zero.
Do you still know any contacts who could get you a reference letter? If not, just attach a letter explaining the situation, I'm sure CIC knows the world isn't so black and white haha

Cubiscus

Jan 28, 2015
Yep, although since it's in Australia that can be challenging. I guess I wondered if it was black and white.

all_the_best

Star Member
May 25, 2012
I have heard that when one can not find reference letters, some aspirants have tried submitting notarized self reference letters explaining attempts made to get letters and also the reasons why they could not get it.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Thanks for the points above, but I don't actually have an answer to my specific question: will I need reference letters from all clients for the period where I was a self employed consultant?

Cheers.

Alimoh

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Not trying to be harsh... But I am not sure what the CIC's take is on self employment...
I think there is massive room for fraud in terms of using made up self employment experience and using it it to score EE points...
So if I was an immigration officer... I would look at ur application with a lot of suspicion...
I don't mean to imply that urs isn't true but shit like this happens...

I would try to i itself employment if possible..

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Alimoh said:
Not trying to be harsh... But I am not sure what the CIC's take is on self employment...
I think there is massive room for fraud in terms of using made up self employment experience and using it it to score EE points...
So if I was an immigration officer... I would look at ur application with a lot of suspicion...
I don't mean to imply that urs isn't true but *censored word* like this happens...

I would try to i itself employment if possible..
A *tad* harsh, but I do see your point. My three years of self-employed consultancy are an important part of my CV so will be detailed fully in my application, but letters will be hard to secure for some clients. Contract details and tax records might have to suffice.

Aussieexpat

Feb 10, 2015
Did anyone also notice that they want business cards from each employer that signs the reference letters. Madness! I am assuming that a letter of explanation will be sufficient seeing as not everyone carries business cards? What do you think?