+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reference Letter for Secondary Experience with outside Canada Experience.

Aug 1, 2020
Hi Everyone,

We have an express entry profile active wherein my wife is the primary and I am the secondary.

What I would like to know is that do I need to produce the reference letter for my work experience as well (me being secondary applicant)? Considering I only have work experience in India and not in Canada!

Currently in our profile we have mentioned work experience for my wife and myself too, however, when I check the CIC Points calculator, it only asks about "Whether your common law in partner have the work experience in CANADA?" and asks nothing about work experience outside CANADA and the proceeds with calculating the points. Thus, I assume that there are no points claimed for my work experience (secondary applicant) in the EE profile as well.

Could you guide me:

1. Whether or not it will be relevant to show the secondary applicant's experience in the "Work History" under EE Profile despite of the fact that it does not calculate the points for work ex outside Canada? (Let me know if I am wrong with the understanding that it does not gives any points for secondary applicant's work history outside Canada).
2. If still I show my work experience under EE Profile, then will I be asked to produce the reference letter from the employer?
3. How about if I will not show any experience being the secondary applicant as it does not gives any points, does this have any draw back? Also, if I will not show any experience then will removing the work history from secondary applicant's section will be enough or do I need to change anything else as well in the profile?

I believe I was able to explain my ask properly.

Please let me know if anything is not clear.

Thanks in advance!

Best
Shwetank Sandhu

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"Considering I only have work experience in India and not in Canada!"
No
"Thus, I assume that there are no points claimed for my work experience (secondary applicant) in the EE profile as well."
Right
"2. If still I show my work experience under EE Profile, then will I be asked to produce the reference letter from the employer?"
You might, if you insist on including it.

"3. How about if I will not show any experience being the secondary applicant as it does not gives any points, does this have any draw back?"
No