+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ready to marry my Canadian boyfriend of 4 years. Need help.

Oct 26, 2013
So I am a US Citizen, and I met my Candian boyfriend 4 years ago online. We haven't actually seen each other in 3 years, but I was staying there for 9 months for the first part of our relationship. I moved back to the U.S. for a while and then went back to Canada for a while but I ended up having to leave because he was having difficulty supporting both of us due to his not so great job back then. Last year in October I attempted to go back to Canada, but this time I didn't have my car so I went by bus. I had no idea how much more strict they are at the border if you're traveling by bus. I was pulled aside and questioned for hours because I didn't have a return ticket, nor any supporting documents showing I had ties to the U.S. and let's face it, I was trying to get up there last year so that I could begin the marriage process with him. Anyway, they flagged my passport at the border because of the situation and I wasn't able to get in to see Cody. It caused a lot of complications for our relationship and we split for a bit. Now we are back together and we WANT this to work. I am scared however, I'm going to try and drive up in December but I have a feeling I will have a very difficult time at the border. I will have a note from my job stating that I have vacation time to go into Canada, among other things to prove that I have ties to the U.S. to avoid further complication. My question is, I don't know how soon we will be able to get the marriage situation taken care of, and I'm afraid if I say that I am only coming up for 2 weeks and I stay longer, will they come after me and ban me from Canada?

Anyway, I have some other questions: when we do start the marriage process what exactly is done, and what are some things I need to know as far as PR application and every thing else. I'm just hoping someone has experienced this before, and I need some direction as exactly what to do. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To answer your questions about the PR application process, start by reading the first post here (note that the times listed in this post are now out of date):

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

As always, the CIC web site is also a very important resource and you'll need to spend time reading through this material as well (note that as an American, you'll definitely want to use the outside of Canada application process):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

As for crossing the border and getting into Canada, since you've had problems before - you'll definitely want to bring plenty of evidence that show you have strong ties to the US (e.g. property ownership or rental, proof you have a job and your employer has given you short vacation, utility bills, bank accounts, etc.). Also make sure you don't pack like you're moving. As you know, how long you are allowed into Canada for is ultimately up to the immigration officer.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you say you are visiting for two weeks, and then you stay longer, they will not come after you. If they only give you two weeks of course, then yes you would have to leave, but usually Americans are allowed six months. People's plans change - if questioned later about saying 'two weeks' and then staying longer, just say you had planned to go back after two weeks, but then felt you couldn't because you missed each other so much, or whatever. Most likely no one will ask at the sponsorship stage about this.

Pollen

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2015
LANDED..........
14-12-2015
There is a lot to do I can say that much. My husband and I were / are in a similar situation. We got married 2 months ago and we still don't have everything we need for immigration. We're close but getting stuff from the US government takes a lot of time, like right now the ETA on his background check once we send in his prints is 12 weeks. YUCK! The links that someone else put in this post are exactly what you need and this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3910e.pdf is specifically what you need to get immigrating from the US.

It is going to cost around $1500 Canadian for everything. I recommend doing the medical in Canada as it is way cheaper. We regret doing a wedding ceremony as it put us in 10k debt so to be honest I would recommend a justice of the peace at the court house thing if money is tight. Honey moon was worth it though! You can't send anything in until you're married if you want to apply as a married couple. The legal copy of the marriage certificate has to be ordered after the wedding which also takes time. You will be married and unable to live together in the same country for a while. It sucks, we know, so if you are in it for the long haul get ready because it is one! As for traveling across the border the letter from work and a return ticket usually does the trick. If you let them know you plan on applying for PR through legal channels that helps. I actually have the email of one of the head people where I cross the border and I update him when I am traveling however I go to the US to visit my husband. You should see if there is anyone there at the border you cross willing to work with you and keep in touch so you have a rapport with the border agents when you cross. Don't ever mislead but never tell them more than they ask. If they want to know who you are visiting tell them honestly, husband, fiance, boyfriend which ever applies at the time. If they ask why, tell them the truth. Always be honest. I have been grilled before at the border too coming into the US for my first long visit it isn't fun but now that they see I cross regularly and return that history has weight. Oh and never get defensive, stay calm. I find the Canadian border agents a lot better we brought my husband in for our wedding and everything a month total and we told them our plans and they were like okay go ahead! Gave a great wedding! It was not at all what we were expecting! Anyways I wish you luck!