July 31 2012
Med's Done....
March 22 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 9 2013
Hey all...

Let me know what you guys think.... So we will be leaving for Canada in two weeks. We applied outland back in May. I will be re-establishing my residency there, as I am the citizen and my husband is still awaiting his papers (we alll know how speedy CIC is!) My husband will be in Canada for about a week with me then he will be in FL for 3-4wks. Once he returns, we'll be living up there awaiting his approval. I'm a little unsure as to what we say at the border in regards to our belongings to follow? Do we give them the list of all our goods to follow at that time? Should we have seperate lists (as there is a part for former residents and settlers) as we actually won't be coming into Canada at the same time?

Any advice? Has anyone else experienced this?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You as the Canadian needs to do the talking. Make sure they are YOUR belongings, not his. As in you have ownership of them... they aren't joint property. Hopefully they will understand he's helping you move, like a good husband :)

If he has proof of his trip to Florida (plane tickets, hotel reservation) I would definitely bring those along. I'm assuming he's American and you already have AIP since you applied in May. Bring proof of the AIP.

Going across the border with your belongings and a 'foreigner' husband is risky, but if you take the proper proof, it should be okay. People in the forum have gotten their American spouses into Canada with AIP alone. Just cross your fingers you don't run into the guard having a bad day!

CdnRNUSN

Star Member
Mar 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 30 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9 2013
AOR Received.
July 20 2012
File Transfer...
July 31 2012
Med's Done....
March 22 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 9 2013
amikety said:
You as the Canadian needs to do the talking. Make sure they are YOUR belongings, not his. As in you have ownership of them... they aren't joint property. Hopefully they will understand he's helping you move, like a good husband :)

If he has proof of his trip to Florida (plane tickets, hotel reservation) I would definitely bring those along. I'm assuming he's American and you already have AIP since you applied in May. Bring proof of the AIP.

Going across the border with your belongings and a 'foreigner' husband is risky, but if you take the proper proof, it should be okay. People in the forum have gotten their American spouses into Canada with AIP alone. Just cross your fingers you don't run into the guard having a bad day!
Well in seeing that we have been married for 2 yrs most of the stuff is our joint property except for clothing really. The only thing in his name soley is the car which he will be importing upon approval of PR.

Btw what is AIP?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
AIP = approved in prinicipal.

(This is one of those times I wish English has a separate singular and plural second person pronoun...)

The topic our your things is my opinion. I've never crossed the border by land and only taken a suitcase and backpack at most by air. My view is the agent could see the items as intent on your husband to overstay, i. e. he's moving to Canada. There's a chance if you have AIP and your husband provides proof he plans to travel to Florida after helping you move, it may not be a big deal. I'm still under the assumption he's American, so getting into Canada isn't as difficult for him as people from other countries.

So yeah, I'm kinda mulling it over in my head and thinking of possible scenerios. Also, I'm hoping someone with experience gives you advice rather than me being semi-useless over here :)

If no one else/better replies, you can ask again in the American Outland thread. A lot of the more experienced members of the forum check that thread and post in it - and may have experiences similiar to your own.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/us-outland-applicants-thread-t106068.0.html

CdnRNUSN

Star Member
Mar 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 30 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9 2013