+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-Entry While Under Extended Visitor Status?

cometSuicide

Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone! You have all been incredibly helpful for my and my GF so far, so thank you!

I recently applied for extended visitor's status and was approved without trouble. :D So now my question is, am I allowed to go back to the US for a visit and then re-enter Canada? My mother wants me to visit in April, probably only for two weeks. My extended visitor's status doesn't expire until December. Can I bring my passport and extended visitor's letter and re-enter the country, or will they stop me at the border when I try to return? Thanks everyone!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cometSuicide said:
Hi everyone! You have all been incredibly helpful for my and my GF so far, so thank you!

I recently applied for extended visitor's status and was approved without trouble. :D So now my question is, am I allowed to go back to the US for a visit and then re-enter Canada? My mother wants me to visit in April, probably only for two weeks. My extended visitor's status doesn't expire until December. Can I bring my passport and extended visitor's letter and re-enter the country, or will they stop me at the border when I try to return? Thanks everyone!
1 As soon as you leave Canada your visitor status ends. So you next entry is considered a new entry.

Foodie

Feb 25, 2015
Hi - this thread is relevant to my recent question too: I'm aiming to visit Canada from the UK between August and the New Year, but I'm also aiming to visit the US at least once in that period. PMM - does your reply mean that every entry back into Canada be considered as the start of a new visitor visa? Would that mean I'd have to effectively re-negotiate a length of stay each time?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Foodie said:
Hi - this thread is relevant to my recent question too: I'm aiming to visit Canada from the UK between August and the New Year, but I'm also aiming to visit the US at least once in that period. PMM - does your reply mean that every entry back into Canada be considered as the start of a new visitor visa? Would that mean I'd have to effectively re-negotiate a length of stay each time?
1. Yes, visitors who depart Canada and then apply to re-enter are treated as if it was a new entry each time.

Foodie

Feb 25, 2015
Many thanks. I've seen reference to a multiple-entry-type visa, but I can't find much info on it. Is that an option for UK visitors? It would seem to be a tidier solution maybe?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Foodie said:
Many thanks. I've seen reference to a multiple-entry-type visa, but I can't find much info on it. Is that an option for UK visitors? It would seem to be a tidier solution maybe?
Having a multiple entry visa is no different than entering on a visa exempt UK passport. Neither guarantees you will be allowed into Canada. So if you hold a UK passport, getting a multiple gets you nothing.

kaya~*

Jan 20, 2015
I thought going to the USA would allow you to re enter w out having to reapply? That's what I was told on this forum...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kaya~* said:
I thought going to the USA would allow you to re enter w out having to reapply? That's what I was told on this forum...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16
1. No, that is for NON visa exempt passport holders. They still are subject to examination when they re-enter, it just means that they don't have to get a new TRV for each entry.