+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry to Canada only with study permit

Metal Crow

Aug 20, 2011
hello guys, very nice site btw.

well to the point, I am a Colombian citizen and has been residing in Canada with an International student status for about 4 years now, have been coming in and out of Canada constantly (summers, visiting family etc)

anyways, my visa expired some time ago, and during this summer I came back home for some vacations, now I am wondering if I am going to have any trouble coming back to Canada only with my study permit (which still has a year left), I am coming in from the US (from which I have my visitor visa mostly for this purpose of traveling from there since is cheaper than from Canada.

the thing is that now I dont have time or the required papers to apply for my visa here in Colombia.

I haven't had any trouble crossing (without my visa, only study permit) from the US to Canada before (by plane car and bus) but I am just not sure if there is going to be any trouble at the border this time that I went outside the US.

thanks a lot!! this would really help me a bunch.

cheers

RIDZ

Star Member
Jul 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CHC Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Med's Request
21-07-2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
Metal Crow said:
I haven't had any trouble crossing (without my visa, only study permit) from the US to Canada before (by plane car and bus) but I am just not sure if there is going to be any trouble at the border this time that I went outside the US.
Thanks for that piece of info. My friends studying in the US have been travelling to Canada with their study permit but I wasn't sure if it was ok for students holding a Canadian study permit.

Well since the immigration officers did not check your visa during your travels between US and Canada, I assume they won't check it next time either (Don't base your decisions based on my assumptions though as I don't have much experience regarding this :p). BUT in any case, you'll still need a valid visa to travel to the US or Canada. I hope at least your US visa is valid. But if none of your visas are valid, I'm afraid you won't be allowed to leave Colombia.

Reactions: Metal Crow