+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter Canada with valid TRV, and Study permit expiring in 1 month !?

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
First, I want to extend my gratitude to the wonderful people at Cohen for hosting this incredible forum!

Context: I completed my one-year postgraduate program at X College in May 2024 and returned to my home country in June 2024. My second program at Y College starts in September 2024. My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is valid until September 30, 2024, and my study permit is also valid until September 30, 2024. I have applied for an extension of my study permit for the new program, but it is still being processed. I plan to return to Canada in August and have some quick questions:

Queries regarding reentering Canada:
  1. My TRV is valid until September 30. Is it acceptable to enter Canada with approximately a month remaining on my TRV?
  2. My old study permit is valid until September 30, and I am awaiting the extension for my new program. Is it permissible to reenter Canada with or without the extended study permit?
  3. Are there any other factors I need to consider, such as medical requirements or other documents, when reentering Canada?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
1. A valid TRV (till the date of expiration) allows you to board the plane from your home country and present yourself at a Canadian POE.

2. Prepare for questioning by CBSA. You will very likely be allowed to enter and possibly even be issued a new study permit if you meet all requirements. Worst and very unlikely is you will be denied entry. They might issue you a TRP of you are not eligible to apply for a study permit at POE.

3. Come prepared with everything including your current application information and all supporting documents.

Reactions: top_gun

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
1. A valid TRV (till the date of expiration) allows you to board the plane from your home country and present yourself at a Canadian POE.

2. Prepare for questioning by CBSA. You will very likely be allowed to enter and possibly even be issued a new study permit if you meet all requirements. Worst and very unlikely is you will be denied entry. They might issue you a TRP of you are not eligible to apply for a study permit at POE.

3. Come prepared with everything including your current application information and all supporting documents.
Thanks a lot for your response. I hope I get my permit approved before I travel.

Jill11

Jul 15, 2024
Hello,

I applied for a student extension and spousal work permit extension together on 2nd May. We have to fly to India for my brother's wedding in the 2nd week of October. There is no update on our TRV. What happens if we fly to India while the TRV is in process? Also, in my college offer letter, the end of the program is 31st Dec 2024. Would I be able to re-enter Canada if i get my TRV stamped from India? Also, do you have any idea on the processing time if we get it stamped from India

I appreciate any help you can provide.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello,

I applied for a student extension and spousal work permit extension together on 2nd May. We have to fly to India for my brother's wedding in the 2nd week of October. There is no update on our TRV. What happens if we fly to India while the TRV is in process? Also, in my college offer letter, the end of the program is 31st Dec 2024. Would I be able to re-enter Canada if i get my TRV stamped from India? Also, do you have any idea on the processing time if we get it stamped from India

I appreciate any help you can provide.
I won't recommend leaving Canada without a valid TRV. You could be stuck for a while and not able to re-enter Canada.