+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quetions about the Bridging open work Permit! pls help! :D

Aussieaussie!

Mar 12, 2013
1, I'm currently on a WHV (work holiday visa) and my application for BWOP will most likely still be under process come my visa expiring time. My WHV does not allow implied status aka extended stay, however if I applied for the BWOP can I gain implied status and continue working?

2, how long does a bridging open work permit take to process?

3, Do we have to do a border cross to receive the Bridging open work permit?

4, If I can't do implied status can I just go home to Australia to visit family while its processing then once it's been processed I can fly back to Canada and activate my Bridging work permit?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Aussieaussie! said:
1, I'm currently on a WHV (work holiday visa) and my application for BWOP will most likely still be under process come my visa expiring time. My WHV does not allow implied status aka extended stay, however if I applied for the BWOP can I gain implied status and continue working?

I believe so, but you should call CIC to verify...

2, how long does a bridging open work permit take to process?
Presumably, the same as other work permits processed in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

3, Do we have to do a border cross to receive the Bridging open work permit?
No.

4, If I can't do implied status can I just go home to Australia to visit family while its processing then once it's been processed I can fly back to Canada and activate my Bridging work permit?

Your BOWP will be "activated" on the date it is issued. You must reside in Canada to be eligible for the BOWP; If you leave Canada during processing, you will lose your "implied status." So if CIC confirms that you will have implied status, I would suggest not leaving for the duration...

Aussieaussie!

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks very much for the reply!

Now just about the implied status, how do we actually get the status of being "implied" do I have to go to a visa office or do a border cross? I don't want to stay in Canada thinking I'm on implied when I'm actually staying illegally with no status past my visa expiration date :p

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
As I said before, call CIC to make sure that implied status is applicable to your situation.

You don't get any kind of documentation, the only proof you would have is proof that your application for a new work permit was received by CIC before your old one expires...