+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions re. Spousal Sponsorship in Quebec

GFreeman

May 3, 2017
Hi everyone :)
I'm love get advice from anyone that has gone through spousal sponsorship in Quebec (especially recently, in the last year or 2). I've had conflicting advise about which would be better; Inland or Outland Spousal Sponsorship.
I'm an Australian in Canada on my IEC permit, which expires Sept 2017 (I've already extended once). My Québécois fiance and I are getting married in June. I was told at an immigration info session that I should put through an inland app once we're married, but from what I read it takes 4 months for the OWP to reach you.

Specifically I'd like to know
- if applying for the OWP, do you need to submit a separate CSQ, or is it included?
- if not applying for the OWP, do you still need to submit a CSQ app?
- for anyone with Outland Sponsorship experience; if there are any Australians here, how long did processing take for you?

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
GFreeman said:
Hi everyone :)
I'm love get advice from anyone that has gone through spousal sponsorship in Quebec (especially recently, in the last year or 2). I've had conflicting advise about which would be better; Inland or Outland Spousal Sponsorship.
I'm an Australian in Canada on my IEC permit, which expires Sept 2017 (I've already extended once). My Québécois fiance and I are getting married in June. I was told at an immigration info session that I should put through an inland app once we're married, but from what I read it takes 4 months for the OWP to reach you.

- if applying for the OWP, do you need to submit a separate CSQ, or is it included?
- for anyone with Outland Sponsorship experience; if there are any Australians here, how long did processing take for you?
I'm not sure to which extent I will be helpful to you, but I'll try. I'm the sponsor, my wife the principal applicant (PA), we did not apply for an OWP, but we filed inland sposal sponsorship application in August 2015. We are not done yet but almost (just waiting for the landing appointment).

I have no clue on what are the processing time for Outland application from Australia, but outland is generally faster. However inland applications are getting near to the 12 months the current government said. Currently, most inland applications are getting processed in 13-14 months. Whether you apply outland or inland, you will eventually need to apply for a CSQ, but that will come only when you will receive a request by IRCC to apply for the CSQ and for your sponsor to apply for the undertaking engagement.

Regarding the OWP, we did not apply as my wife is on a study permit, being a full-time student. The processing time announced was indeed 4 months, but looking at the spreadsheet (I hope the link will work for you):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yn3BFzI4q4xAy4EW3pG4CgQz9o3EzF5b18_tcSJwBhA/edit#gid=1524155556
Some people seems to get it much faster now. Maybe you could post the question in the 2017 inland thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-inland-applications-2017-timeline-and-updates-t468962.0.html

You said you are getting married in June, add 5-10 days to order and receive the wedding certificate. Get your application ready and as soon as you have the wedding certificate, you can apply.

Going inland would give you the advantage of staying in Canada during the application and get a work permit about 4 months (or earlier) after you applied. You might have a brief period for which you will not be allowed to work, after your current work permit expires until you receive the OWP. Going outland, you could also stay here by extending your visitor status, but you won't be allowed to work here from the expiration of your current permit until the whole application will be processed. Also, if for any reason you are requested for as interview during the process, you will have to travel back to Australia.

I hope some of this will help you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
GFreeman said:

Hi

Have you and your partner lived together continuously for at least a year? If you have, you should apply now as common-law.

1. No, you don't need a separate CSQ for the OWP.

2. Yes, you will be required to submit a CSQ whether you apply inland or outland.

3. Australian outland apps average around 6 months.

GFreeman

May 3, 2017
canuck_in_uk No we haven't lived together for 1 year, but thanks for the info

sylvain1 thank you for the link to that spreadsheet (yup, it does work!)
- so I can remain in Canada AFTER my IEC work permit expires, without any other Visa or permit (only the PR sponsorship app in progress)? Really?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
GFreeman said:
- so I can remain in Canada AFTER my IEC work permit expires, without any other Visa or permit (only the PR sponsorship app in progress)? Really?
No, submitting a PR app does not grant any form of status or allow you to stay in Canada. If you apply inland and include the OWP app, your status will be maintained. If you apply outland, you need to apply separately to change conditions and extend your stay as a visitor before you current permit expires.

Reactions: GFreeman