+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions, questions D:

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, I'm a US citizen looking to move in with my SO after I graduate next summer. I've done lots of research about this whole process, but there are still some rather confusing things that I'd like to know more about before diving in.

1. I know that the conjugal partner route is rigorous, and I've heard that they like to do full interviews with close friends family members, though I'm not sure. Is it a given that my sponsor and I will have to do an interview together at some point?

2. About how much does it take to get the medical exam done for someone in the US?

3. Is a financial paper trail necessary for me to get approved? (Things like joint accounts/possessions, etc.) I guess we could start something if it's recommended, though I have a LOT of evidence that our relationship is legitimate and long-term. Unfortunately I am still technically a dependent child because I'm a student, and neither of us own property or have life insurance policies. We often make purchases on behalf of one another and "share income" in that manner, though being financially interdependent right now is completely unnecessary.

4. I know all of the stuff takes a while to gather, so I was wondering how long you have from the time you fill out the applications, get your security check, and medical exam, before it's too late to submit it?

Thanks guys!
(On behalf of Shaun and Lo)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately the conjugal route isn't an option for you. You will have to qualify by either being married or common-law (living together for a minimum of one year). The conjugal class is reserved for couples who absolutely cannot get married and cannot live together for a year. In other words, it has to be impossible. Since you're from the US, getting married is definitely possible (in either country) and you could live together by coming to Canada for a six month visit and then extending your visit for another six months.

Hopefully you have already lived together for a year and can qualify for common law.

To answer a few other questions:

2. The cost vary by DMP. (I've heard of anywhere from $150 to $550 per person.) It tends to be the cheapest in Canada. I would recommend that you contact a few DMPs in your area.

3. This type of supporting documentation is very important if you are applying common-law. Not as important if you are married.

4. Security checks expire in three months. Medicals expire in a year. You need to make sure you submit your application before the security checks expire.

Hope this helps and good luck...

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yowch.

Erm... would the threat of having all financial support to pay off student loans for the next 10 years and subsequently be unable to support myself at all constitute as a circumstance that would make marriage impossible? Or would they tell me to come back and see them when I've gotten hitched several years down the road?

(Also, living up there for 2 6-month periods and not being able to work is completely out of the question.)

Thanks for the rest of the advice, though!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hi SnL,

The conjugal partner route is an option for you (it is NOT "reserved" for couples who can't live together or be married, but it was "designed" to overcome these obstacles for couples who wouldn't otherwise qualify for family class immigration). And yes, it is rigorous. I know; I was approved in the conjugal class. My partner and I are US/CAN hetero couple with no marriage or immigration barriers.

And no, they do not do full interviews with your family and friends. They handle way too many applications to have time for that. It will be incumbent upon you and your partner to provide all the evidence they need to determine the validity of your relationship (see the OP2 manual link below for examples). In addition to other evidence, you will have to submit written testimonials (at least two that are notarized) from friends, colleagues, and/or family members basically stating that they are aware of your relationship and judge it to be real, ongoing, genuine, marriage-like, committed, etc. In most cases you are only called for an interview if they do not believe your relationship is genuine and ongoing.

I must caution that conjugal partners are much more likely to be denied than spouses or common law applicants, but it is not impossible to get approved. You have to prove your relationship is ALREADY marriage-like and interdependent socially, emotionally, physically, and financially to the extent that you can while not living together. You should read the OP 2 manual - the processing guidelines for more information on what is needed to prove any conjugal relationship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Having student loan obligations is not an impediment to marriage, nor is it an impediment for spousal immigration shortly after marriage. If you intend to marry your SO, you are expected, by immigration, to do so before applying. There is no fiancée class. So if marriage is in the plan, go ahead. You will be much more likely to be approved as spouses than as conjugal partners.

If you want more information about my experience in the conjugal class, feel free to PM me.
Read the guide. It is really helpful. Best wishes and good luck.
Allison