+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions: Outland / Inland Spousal Sponsorship, Study, Work Visa, Quebec Residency

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi everyone,
We are so happy to see these forums are very active and we are hoping to get some clarification on the following questions:

1) Outland / Inland Sponsorship: My wife and I are currently living overseas and became married over a year ago - from what we have researched there is no need to delay on the application. We understand it will take approximately 1 year to process the application in order to receive a response on the application. We are looking to move to Montreal by August 2020. If there is a delay with receiving notification from IRCC can we still fly to Canada and continue with our Outland sponsorship application? Or will we need to start all over with Inland sponsorship application?

2) While sponsoring, I (the sponsor) am also looking at going back to school to McGill University in Montreal, and also working part-time. We have money saved, but with how much IRCC is looking for we are not entirely sure, and my wife is also looking at working full-time with freelance and or/for a company upon landing in Montreal. Does this sound reasonable for IRCC or do they expect to see the sponsor working full-time during the full duration of the sponsorship?

3) We will both be new residents to Quebec. I am Canadian but have lived in BC. From what we understand we will need to be be approved at the bare minimum of two times: once from IRCC for Inland/Outland Sponsorship and once from the Quebec Ministry of Immigration, to receive their approval with the Quebec Selection Certificate. (Which can only be started after IRCC application has been received). How long does the Quebec Selection Certificate take to receive approval? Will we be caught in a limbo preventing us from living in Quebec until we are approved and receive this Selection Certificate? Bearing in mind that right now our hopeful plans are to fly directly to Montreal by August 2020 and settle in there. Would it be advised to first fly in elsewhere such as Toronto and then transition into Quebec or will it make any difference for the paperwork? Can my wife still be sponsored in Quebec if we start our journey to Canada through Toronto and make our way to Quebec afterwards? Or do we need to land in Quebec and stay in Quebec? We can't really see this last part being a big deal, same paperwork and procedures either way if moving to Quebec, but just making sure. Especially for this Selection Certificate and how much hold up it is forseeable to have on top of the one year processing time with IRCC to receive their initial apprpoval for sponsorship.

4) Lastly, the 4-5 months for an Open Work Permit application. It is our understanding that the Open Work Permit can only be applied for after IRCC gives the green light on the sponsorship application, and not at any time before this. So can my wife apply for a regular 1 year work permit to stay in Montreal to begin with and then have the option to switch to the Open Work Permit at the time it becomes available? is this allowed to be done during Inland / Outland sponsorship while living in Canada? With question 1 answered it will help us to understand which one we can go with, Inline or Outland the whole way through.

Thank you so much for reading this, and for your much appreciated time! If anything else is popping out as being missed here please feel free to let us know.
Best regards,