+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on spousal sponsorship

Mac1000

Feb 9, 2019
If me and my fiancee applied for spousal sponsorship inland, I would have to be in her country for at least 12 months.
Apart from studying, would I be allowed to obtain a work permit and work while I was waiting for an answer for the application for PR?
Would I have to have a job waiting for me? And lastly, does it need to be a specific type of job?

Thank you for any and all advice/help.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your fiancee is Canadian?

If you were inside Canada and applied for a spousal sponsorship, you could apply for an open work permit. If you are eligible, you would get it 4-5 months after application. You would not be required to have a job waiting. You would be able to work anywhere, except for medical and childcare until your medical tests are done and the conditions on your permit are changed.

Mac1000

Feb 9, 2019
Yes, Canadian.

Why would I have to wait until I applied for the spousal? Would it definitely take 4-5 months to get an open work permit while in Canada?

The reason why I ask is, I was thinking of applying for a work permit before I go back to Canada and before I started the spousal or no?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you can get a work permit that is not connected to spousal sponsorship (EE, IEC, etc.) then yes, you can apply for that first.

A foreigner who is in Canada and being sponsored by a Canadian or PR is eligible for an open work permit while the spousal sponsorship application is processing.

Mac1000

Feb 9, 2019
Oh, okay I understand. I wasn't aware of that.
Thank you so much for letting me know.

I think I just wanted to make sure that I could work as soon as I got here in order to be able to stay while we are doing the spousal.

Would it be useless then to get the work permit first? And would it run out faster than if I were to get the permit connected to the spousal one?
I was only considering getting it first so that I could get back into Canada and be ready to work and could work until I did the spousal application.

Mac1000

Feb 9, 2019
Does having the work permit ensure that I can stay then while I am waiting to process the spousal application?
Which is at least 12 months.

Apr 25, 2019
Hi everyone

Following are my details:
Application received: Sept 10 2018
AOR recieved: December 18 2018
Sponsor Approval letter: January 4 2019
Request for medical: Dec 18 2018
medical Passed: 3 feb 2019
after that nothing
I don't get any email regarding file transfer to ndvo even after 7 months

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Oh, okay I understand. I wasn't aware of that.
Thank you so much for letting me know.

I think I just wanted to make sure that I could work as soon as I got here in order to be able to stay while we are doing the spousal.

Would it be useless then to get the work permit first? And would it run out faster than if I were to get the permit connected to the spousal one?
I was only considering getting it first so that I could get back into Canada and be ready to work and could work until I did the spousal application.
If you can get an economic immigration (express entry, IEC, etc.) then you could work from day 1, because you'd be entering on that permit. You could then get married, file for spousal sponsorship, and wait throughout the process. The IEC is generally issued for 1-2 years and you could add in an OWP application in your spousal application, to backstop. However, you'd need to wait until you get the economic immigration visa - and that can take a while!

If you apply inland and apply for an OWP, you have no choice but to wait the 4-5 months from application until you work, unfortunately.

Unless you have a work permit that is not connected to the spousal application, you cannot work from day 1 waiting on spousal sponsorship. This just changes the waiting to before you come to Canada, because you'd have to apply for the economic immigration basis before coming. That could take a few months.

Mac1000

Feb 9, 2019
Thing is, I am okay waiting to work. I guess I was just mainly hoping that if I were able to obtain a work permit that I would then be allowed to stay the whole 12 months until I get an answer on the application.

I am assuming then that I could stay the whole 12 months once issued the work permit?

Plus the work would obviously help me and my fiancee money wise.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
In both cases, yes. The OWP is typically issued for 2 years, to allow it to cover you through a spousal application. I believe IECs are issued for 1-2 years. Express entry or the like would last for longer than the year.

If you're okay waiting a few months to work, then get into Canada, get married, and apply for spousal and the OWP. You'll be good to stay the 12 months.

Theoretically, you could also enter on a 6-month admission, extend it once, and possibly be done - and if not, you could theoretically get another extension, all without working. However, if you want to be in Canada, then your best bet is probably spousal + OWP, unless you can super easily get an economic entrance.

Mac1000

Feb 9, 2019
Thank you so so much for all this advice.

I don't know how you guys do it. It seems like you'd need to take a course to know all of the ins and outs and I still can't figure it out.

Thanks, man!!

Reactions: k.h.p.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Hi everyone

Following are my details:
Application received: Sept 10 2018
AOR recieved: December 18 2018
Sponsor Approval letter: January 4 2019
Request for medical: Dec 18 2018
medical Passed: 3 feb 2019
after that nothing
I don't get any email regarding file transfer to ndvo even after 7 months
This is because they are probably processing your bgc. Sit tight. They often go long periods without communication. Sponsorship takes 12 months