+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on filling Citizenship application 9 c) , 10 a) and 11

betahub

Mar 22, 2018
Hi all,
I need your help in filling the following section in Citizenship application form.
9 c) During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada

My Eligibility period as per physical presence calculator is from 03/22/2013 to 03/22/2018 even though i landed as permanent resident only on Jan 11 2015.

Before Jan 11 2015, I was living in India and i did not have canadian work permit or student permit.

Should i say Yes to question 9 c) During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada and fill Residence Outside Canada form (CIT 0177)

Should i fill my indian address in 10 a) where do you live during your eligibility period?
Should i fill my Indian employment details in 11) what you have been doing in your eligibility period?

Thanks in Advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Should i fill my indian address in 10 a) where do you live during your eligibility period?
Should i fill my Indian employment details in 11) what you have been doing in your eligibility period?
Yes. These respective items in the application are unequivocal: address and work history for the FULL FIVE YEARS constituting the eligibility period.

Should i say Yes to question 9 c) During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada and fill Residence Outside Canada form (CIT 0177)
Item 9.c is not so clear. Obviously the truthful answer is yes. Many of us have the view that applicants should answer all questions truthfully. A "yes" response, however, means the applicant is instructed to submit CIT 0177, the Crown Servant credit form, which in your situation (yours and many, many others) is totally NOT relevant. So, many of us think the better approach is to answer 9.c truthfully and if that answer is "yes" then submit CIT 0177 mostly filled in with "NA."

Some forum participants suggest simply checking "no." This probably works. This may even be what IRCC expects and prefers. Despite the fact that it is literally not true. Because what 9.c is intended to ask is whether the applicant claims Crown Servant credit for time living abroad.

My sense leans in favour of the entirely truthful response despite having to then submit the superfluous CIT 0177 form.

All that said, there is no certain one-way to answer the questions in the application. IRCC deals with, handles, and accepts a wide range of variable responses. As long as the applicant provides most of the information requested, all of certain critical information, and the applicant is honest and mostly accurate, and all this shows the applicant to be qualified for citizenship, it should go OK. The applicant's best approach is to make a concerted effort to read and understand the questions and the instructions, and based on the applicant's own best understanding of the questions and instructions, give honest, accurate, and responsively complete answers according to the applicant's own understanding of the facts.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
For 9c i answered "no" and attached a cover letter explaining that although i did live outside Canada during the eligibility period, the form CIT0177 doesn't apply to me and hence haven't filled it. Had no issues, application status is DM.

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
For 9c i answered "no" and attached a cover letter explaining that although i did live outside Canada during the eligibility period, the form CIT0177 doesn't apply to me and hence haven't filled it. Had no issues, application status is DM.
Hi emamabd - Congratulations on your citizenship. I have a query for Question 10 (a). Did you list all the places that you even went for vacations? or did you only list addresses where you resided/lived ?

Thanks.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi emamabd - Congratulations on your citizenship. I have a query for Question 10 (a). Did you list all the places that you even went for vacations? or did you only list addresses where you resided/lived ?

Thanks.
Thank you :)

Nope i didn't list any vacation address - only the addresses where i've resided/lived (abroad and in Canada).

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Thank you :)

Nope i didn't list any vacation address - only the addresses where i've resided/lived (abroad and in Canada).
So you mentioned all (vacations + residences) outside Canada in 'physical presence calculator', but mentioned only residences inside/outside Canada in question 10 (a).

My company sent me on a 3 month job training to New York on (B1/B2) visa where I stayed in a hotel. During my stay, I was still considered an employer in Canada. I have to mention this period in my employment history with the US address (since i was physically present there).

Now after mentioning this in my employment history, I get confused if this address will come in Question 10 (a) or not since it doesn't necessarily come under work or study or residence or vacation.

Apologies for the long explanation. I am hopeful you can solve this issue for me.

Thanks.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
So you mentioned all (vacations + residences) outside Canada in 'physical presence calculator', but mentioned only residences inside/outside Canada in question 10 (a).
Yes that's exactly what i did

My company sent me on a 3 month job training to New York on (B1/B2) visa where I stayed in a hotel. During my stay, I was still considered an employer in Canada. I have to mention this period in my employment history with the US address (since i was physically present there).

Now after mentioning this in my employment history, I get confused if this address will come in Question 10 (a) or not since it doesn't necessarily come under work or study or residence or vacation.

Apologies for the long explanation. I am hopeful you can solve this issue for me.

Thanks.
If it worries you - you can include the US training period under 10a, probably serves as an additional detail - there's no harm in that. You could also mention the same period under 11 and clarify that it was for job training.

Good luck with your application!

Last edited: