17-12-2013
Med's Done....
22-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
14-02-2014
Hi,

4 months ago, I came to Ottawa on a Work Permit with a Canadian company that works in the digital media and websites. I am a Web Developer.

When my visa arrived, everything happened so fast, that I am not really sure what's my situation here. I am currently employed, and living in Ottawa. On my passport I have a "Work Permit" sticker that says:

Work Permit
Case Type: 20
Bonded: No
Conditions: Must Leave Canada by 14 Feb 2016

My wife came with me, she also has a work permit, and hers actually says "Open Work Permit". She's a WebDev as well.

Do you guys know if I am a "Temporary Foreign Worker" or a "Federal Skilled Worker", or what exactly am I currently? :D

I remember when applying, I had to fill 2 forms. A "Work Permit" form, and a "Temporary Resident Visa" form. Do I have both?

When I came here, the company agreed to give me the contract, on the condition that I arrange everything myself, they recommended an immigration consultant that was so expensive and unorganized. Every time they farted, I had to pay them money. And its not like they did the impossible, I have seen the forms and I know that I actually did the heavy part of the process, but I had to go with them, because I needed this job.

So now that I am almost 4 months into my stay here in Canada, I would like to organize myself and apply for a Permanent Residency when the time comes. I still have 20 months on my permit, but I want to make sure I got this under control. I really love it here. And I dont know what would happen tomorrow, but I am 90% sure that the company will keep hiring me as long as I am breathing.

I need your help with a couple of questions:
1- Do you know what kind of visa am I holding? How can I get more info about the situation of my visa?
2- When and how can I apply for a Permanent Residency? I cannot find the right info online, all I am finding is info relating to before coming to Canada.
3- When can I legally apply for a PR?
4- Can you give me links or guides on how to apply for a PR?

I really appreciate your help here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are a temporary foreign worker - so is your wife.

When you can apply for PR depends on which program you want to apply through and how soon you will meet that program's requirements to apply. You can find information about Canada's immigration programs here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

If you need help finding out if you qualify to apply and through which program, then I would recommend hiring an immigration lawyer or consultant to assist you.

MhamadK

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2013
Med's Request
17-12-2013
Med's Done....
22-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
14-02-2014
Thank you scylia for your reply.

So if I understand this right, these are the processing times for each program that I can apply for.

The processing time for a PR under the (Federal Skilled Worker) is 25 months if I apply to the Ottawa office.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

The processing time for a PR under the (Canadian Experience Class) is 13 months if I apply to the Ottawa office.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp

Basically, CEC takes half the time of an FSW, but requires at least 1 year of Canadian Experience, and you must take the (CELPIP-G 2014) test with a score of at least 7. Is that correct?

I still dont have a year's experience in Canada. But im just exploring all my options at the moment. I see things will be changed with this new (Express Entry) system. I hope it doesnt become harder for us all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MhamadK said:
Basically, CEC takes half the time of an FSW, but requires at least 1 year of Canadian Experience, and you must take the (CELPIP-G 2014) test with a score of at least 7. Is that correct?
Both CEC and FSW require you to take a language test.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
MhamadK said:
Thank you scylia for your reply.

So if I understand this right, these are the processing times for each program that I can apply for.

The processing time for a PR under the (Federal Skilled Worker) is 25 months if I apply to the Ottawa office.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

The processing time for a PR under the (Canadian Experience Class) is 13 months if I apply to the Ottawa office.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp

I still dont have a year's experience in Canada. But im just exploring all my options at the moment. I see things will be changed with this new (Express Entry) system. I hope it doesnt become harder for us all.
To cut the story short and make things easier for you, CEC is the most appropriate program for people like us (i have a similar situation - work in software too - though not web). You have to complete precisely one year before you apply and need to have taken language proficiency test (either CELPIP or IELTS)

For people with software back ground (e.g. NOC 2174, 2171 etc.) CEC might take less time i.e. around 8-9 months total. Moreover as you know already CIC plans to introduce "express entry" next year - which basically aims to process PR within six months.

Irrespective, the first phase of approval of CEC is called AOR (Acknowledgement of receipt) which often comes in 2-3 months. Once you have that and say your work permit is near expiry (but you are afraid you won't get PR in time), you can apply for Bridging open work permit by just attaching your AOR, job details and existing work permit by spending 150 CAD per person. No LMO etc. would be required and you would be able to work for any employer.